THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

indianagriller

is one Smokin' Farker
Guys looking for a little info, I have a friend who works in a machine / welding shop who is willing to build a Fat 50 style cooker for me, The thing is he wants to use 304 stainless steel for the build, is this a good quality metal for a smoker like this? I guess i am asking what are the pro's/ and cons of doing an all stainless build?

Pros, it won't rust, it will be super shiny, people will think you have a really cool smoker.

Cons, it will be super shiny, stainless costs a lot of money.

Stay away from stainless steel.

Not only does it look kinda...well... almost pink :roll:, it also doesnt hold heat very well, is a pain to keep looking clean, changes colour over time and is expensive.

DM

Thanks for the input, i thought that stainless would hold heat better, Would it really make much of a difference as far as heat loss? Price is not an issue, the place he works charges $.20 a lb for the scrap pieces, he has already built a wood stove and parts for my UDS for me. I kind of like the streaks of color that stainless changes when it is heated. I will see what other types of metal he can get.

.20/lb. I'd be buying him some serious brew! How thick of material are we talking? I'd go stainless in a second. If your worried about heat loss ask him to build an insulated firebox. it's a stickburner so you are gonna have to tend anyway. Wax on Wax off Brother.

Back