THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've only ever used Royal Oak. How's B&B compare? Well I've used the Cowboy Lump from Costco too but didn't like it.

I usually use Royal Oak because it is easier to find but I think B&B had a longer burn time by quite a bit. It had a lot of big chunks in the bags I bought too.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale. Always looking to stock up. I too have never had good luck with Cowboy but I've heard that the quality has gotten a little bit better. After feeling it was junk I haven't bought a bad of it in a few years. For me, Royal Oak and B&B are good value for what you get. You can usually find it on sale and it will do the job. But, you are going to find that it does get pretty beaten up. There is nothing worse than opening a bag only to find small pieces and dust. As has already been mentioned, if you want to ensure good sized chunks you really need to move up to a higher-level product. A lot swear by Fogo but in my book you can't go wrong with Jealous Devil. I have used it more than any other lump charcoal on the market. You will not be disappointed with the lump size, heat level or burn rate. Yes, it costs "more" but the value is there. Happy Smokin'

I ordered 4 bags about 2 weeks ago and they're still not in stock for pickup.

Even though I hadn’t gotten notified it was in I went by Saturday to pick mine up, because that was when the order said it would be in, and because I was passing the store anyway. Clerk found it for me even though the paperwork was messed up and didn’t show it was in yet. Store manager was helping him get it off the shelf and explained their shipment didn’t come in as scheduled so her husband rented a truck and went up the previous night to pick it up so they’d have charcoal for their customers on Memorial Day weekend. They own that franchise. Makes me happy to be their customer. Woodbine Hardware, here in Virginia.

Not available to order here and and the local Ace had 10lb bags for 15.99. Meh!

I did grad this though. 30lb bag for $19.99. Log coals. I'm a 90% of the time lump user but can't wait to try this.

61ZRQ0ULuiL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I ordered the B&B Oak Lump charcoal online from Ace when it went on sale on 5/12 for $11.99. This was going to be the first time I tried lump charcoal. Sadly, they cancelled my order. Guess I'm staying with Kingsford for a bit.

Those chat logs are neat to cook with.
Lump-Briquettes on steroids

I have been using B&B oak lump for a long time and really like it.A few weeks ago I got another bag and loaded up my Joe and fired it up. After it started smoking it had a bad smell and the ribs had a bad taste to it. Few days later did another cook and same results.So I took a good look at the bag and it said with OAK. The orignal was pure oak. Went to HEB and Acadmey and all they had was with OAK. Acadmey had new bags of B&B in hickory,pecan,mapel and mesquite and all said with the primary wood. Why not use pure wood instead of watering it down with who knows what. I really liked the pure OAK lump.

Back