A team got caught cheating in Columbia

Is there a more detailed rule book available, or are all of the rules contained in the 2 page PDF file on the KCBS web site. Just wondering.

Just the two pages, although there are some things that are relayed I believe to reps that are more interpretations rather than rules. Before I get jumped on, here's an example:

The question comes up often if it is legal to heat a sauce over propane, butane, in a microwave... and then apply it to your contest meat. Depending on your reading of the rules you could think this might be an infraction... where as in reality its totally legal, and KCBS has specifically addressed this.

A similar question about boiling was raised last January.... is it legal to put a meat in a pan with a liquid, or a fat? KCBS says it is legal even though boiling is not...

So there is some clarity in the gray areas in the rules... but you need to pay attention to BOD notes, especially the rules meeting that is held every january.

This is a wake up call for me, I was thinking a butane torch would come in handy at a comp. I better read the rules and forget that thought.

Perhaps there needs to be a rule change for clarification. Something along the lines of saying all sources of heat for food cooking and preparation must be provided by wood, charcoal, wood products etc. Under no circumstances will any gas or gas byproduct be used for competition purposes.

Now with that being said, it would mean that even if I used my Coleman stove to heat water for preparing or warming my sauce prior to application would qualify for grounds of a DQ. Even using it to heat the water to clean could be included. I would have to use the cooker to provide the heat to heat my water, warm my sauce, etc.

Kind of harsh but at least it would alleviate any question on what can and cannot be used.

I had always interpreted the rules to say that the only heat source that could be used on the meat was wood/charcoal. Now, in the case mentioned, I would agree that a DQ would be in order, because the sauce was apparently already applied to the meat, so the flame was applied to the meat as well, but I don't know that I would take that to the extent of the sauce. (although to be honest, I'd never thought of it.)

Anyone who uses a commercial sauce is using a product that was almost certainly cooked at some level by a source other than wood/charcoal. So if I make my own on site on a propane stove, is that cause for a DQ? I don't think that would be fair.

I almost did something boneheaded in my last comp. Had planned on wrapping a cooked fatty with biscuit dough and finishing it in a coleman camp oven, designed to be placed on top of a campstove burner!:eek: I overheard the guys at the site next to me talking about turning in the exact thing for their sausage entry the day before turn in and that's when I had the DUH! moment:oops:

I guess I could have done the dough in a ramped up cooker, but I just turned in the fatty without the dough.

I would say, in light of that boneheaded almost mistake, I don't know if I would ban the team. That would depend on the circumstances. If they were blatently cheating, and knew it, then a ban would be deserved, but if they were just ignorant of the rules, I would say the DQ should suffice.

I may be being naive here, but I think most of the teams I've met would agree that there is no honor in cheating, and I don't think any of us wants to win so badly that we would deliberately cheat.

Just my humble opinion

I hate to bring up a sore subject - but has this been resolved.

With the BOD elections coming up, I really want to know if the KCBS is going to be fair and true to their rules or not.

I checked last Bullsheet I recieved, there was mention that a rep was going to be put on probation, but the vote said no. IF that is related to this case, it truely will make me rethink the board and the KCBS.

I was hoping to get clarification.

It is stressful when someone is observed " breaking the rules". Saying someone is cheating is a serious and harsh statement. It implies the person is knowingly violating the rules. I believe the way to handle these situations in an adult manner is to approach the team and express your concerns. Tell the person you think they have violated the rules but of course you are not sure. Ask them to consult a rep. You have in effect thrown the ball in their court and they, having been confronted should consult the rep and have a decision made. An honorable and honest team would do so. If your observation is ignored--- then you should consult the rep on a ruling.

Ok! Since the cheating part was brought up. Has any body ever wondered about the teams that pull up in a RV or camper? Do they take the food inside their camper? I'm sure there's a gas/ electric stove in these things, someone could do a switch a roo once inside. Out of site out of mind. One will never know! By no means am I saying any of these teams cheat! But I'm sure someone has thought about it.

Sure it's possible but what would be the point? Do you really think it's possible to make superior BBQ in a tiny RV kitchen than with the equipment most teams cook on?

Sure it's possible but what would be the point? Do you really think it's possible to make superior BBQ in a tiny RV kitchen than with the equipment most teams cook on?

I don't know - a high tech crock-pot and a RV - hard for teams to compete with that!
icon11.gif

i have an full kitchen in my rv and an gas stove and any one is welocme to walk threw at any time if they want
but the people that know me know i don't use any of that on the contest because i have it all in there for cattering jobs
the person that will not let you walk threw when ever you want is the one that you need to watch :eusa_clap

york

To get back on target - I guess the silence from the BODs means that nothing has happen and nothing will happen.

So this is true;

a team can cheat, get caught and turned into a rep, that rep talks to the team, and then the team gets a call. Nothing happens to the team or the Rep for a clear violation of rules.

WOW - throw integrity out the window.

I cannot discuss the matter further pending the next board meeting. I did want you to know The Board will adress the issue at its next board meeting.
Merl Whitebook
mwhitebook@kcbs.us

I didn't think that was silence... that was answering as much as he could.
I guess you just stay tuned...

i have an full kitchen in my rv and an gas stove and any one is welocme to walk threw at any time if they want
but the people that know me know i don't use any of that on the contest because i have it all in there for cattering jobs
the person that will not let you walk threw when ever you want is the one that you need to watch :eusa_clap

york

I can attest to the fact that York does not use any of those appliances in his RV. I am constantly walking through his vehicle. (thats were he keeps the booze):-D:-D

I didn't think that was silence... that was answering as much as he could.
I guess you just stay tuned...

If you read my last post or the Bullsheet - they had a meeting. There is mention about disciplinary actions for a rep but probation was voted down. Merl voted yes, but I am wandering if these two are the same.

Or once again we find that KCBS has little to know control over competition cheating.

Just got an e-mail from Carol. Team is being sent a suspension letter - this was their 5th contest under different names. Rep received a warning.

Back