THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jklich

Knows what WELOCME spells.
I had my first cook this weekend on my PBC which was a whirlwind of ups and downs to say the least. I definitely made some rookie mistakes, but because of this board I was ultimately able to be successful. So here goes:

The Beginning - The Fatty
I had never heard about a fatty before but after trying it I am a believer - more importantly - my wife loved it as well so the fatty will be a new staple at our house when I get to cook
IMG_0335.jpg

The Meat - 2 pork butts
One was 8 lbs and the other was 9 lbs. Definitely aimed on the high side of what I needed but leftovers are always good - especially when the food turns out great
IMG_0336.jpg

Rookie Mistake #1 - grossly underestimated the cook time
I started the cook around 1:20 PM and thought I would be done for dinner. I'm not sure how I was able to completely research everything else and be so wrong on a critical part of the whole process.

This is where I had a big issue. I had committed to cook dinner for my in-laws and my family but the pork was no where close to being finished. That is where the fattys saved my butt (pun intended). I took the first fatty off after about 2.5 hours and it was amazing. So I pulled an audible and ran and got to more logs of sausage and a thing of biscuits and I was good to go. Everyone loved the fattys and their are now believers as well.

The Middle - 2 fattys 2 butts
IMG_0338.jpg

Rookie Mistake #2 - not adding coals
I thought one basket of coals would be enough for the entire cook. Wrong. The meat started cooling around 8 but luckily the internal temperature only got down to around 135-140 before I was able to start it back up.

Fast forward to 2 AM when it started raining. Since I had to work the following day I tried to sleep in increments of 1.5 hours so I would not be a complete wreck. When I woke up and saw that it had started raining I thought that all hope was lost but luckily the cooker was still going strong. I was surprised to say the least but the meat was still no where close to 205 which made me wonder if it would be done before I needed to go to work.

The End
IMG_0339.jpg
Around 5:40 AM I probed the meat and they were in the 205-210 range. They looked burnt but when I pulled them they were perfect. I added some more seasoning and sauced it a little because the flavor did not penetrate to the center as much as I would have liked.

Overall it was a success. Everyone who had it loved it and had nothing but good things to say. I don't know if I got lucky given all the mistakes and challenges I had to deal with but it was definitely a great learning opportunity.

The things I will remember to do next time:
- Always plan enough time. From everything I read the general consensus was 1.5-2 hrs per pound. I thought about foiling them but I had determined before the cook not to foil so I stayed the course
- Watch the coals as much as the meat. I probably could have shortened the cook if I stayed on top of the fire.
- Always have my Thermapen. That thing saved my life and is amazing.

I will also explore injecting the meat to get some flavor to the middle of the butt to see how that turns out.

i thought this was about me and smitty for a minute...
glad you figured it all out on the first cook. takes some people years. :heh: and the fatty is something you have to try before you realize what everyone is talking about.

Just doing some math here, it took 16 hours for a few butts? Man, I would of given up long before you did! Invest in butcher paper. Helps move cooks along without steaming the meat. Nothing wrong with foil, just a preference. Not sure what temp you were cooking at but I usually run butts a bit higher than other meats. They can take the heat without drying out and if I am going to be cooking for 12+ hours its gonna be for more than pulled pork :) All in all it looks like you had a great cook. A little tweeking to get things the way you want is half the fun :)

One thing to keep in mind. Butts never get smoke flavor into the center. The smoke flavor comes in when you either shred or chop the meat and mix it all together with the outside (bark) meat. You can add some small amount of flavor by injecting if you like but I think you will find that is not really necessary to make great pulled or chopped pork.

The main thing is to keep on smokin brother. The more you cook the better you will get as long as you pay attention and correct you mistakes. Looks like you are already on your way.

i thought this was about me and smitty for a minute...
glad you figured it all out on the first cook. takes some people years. :heh: and the fatty is something you have to try before you realize what everyone is talking about.

I have to give credit to Stlsportster for suggesting it. Without that info I would still be living in a fatty-less world...Oh, the humanity!

Just doing some math here, it took 16 hours for a few butts? Man, I would of given up long before you did! Invest in butcher paper. Helps move cooks along without steaming the meat. Nothing wrong with foil, just a preference. Not sure what temp you were cooking at but I usually run butts a bit higher than other meats. They can take the heat without drying out and if I am going to be cooking for 12+ hours its gonna be for more than pulled pork :) All in all it looks like you had a great cook. A little tweeking to get things the way you want is half the fun :)

That thought crossed my mind SEVERAL times. My commitment to others is what ultimately drove me to the finish line. I will definitely try the butcher paper!

Were they just plain fatty's or stuffed with something?
I keep forgetting to throw a couple of Jimmy Dean rolls on the smoker when I fire it up.
Maybe I should tape a note to the firebox door!

All in all.....great job. Your guests were happy and that is what matters most. You will get the timing down, no worries!!!

Every cook is a learning experience and in your case it all worked out, thanks for sharing.

Were they just plain fatty's or stuffed with something?
I keep forgetting to throw a couple of Jimmy Dean rolls on the smoker when I fire it up.
Maybe I should tape a note to the firebox door!

It was just a plain fatty. I might get around to trying the stuffed fatties but the plain fatty was good enough to where if I don't venture into that stuff I would probably be ok.

The best way to get better is to make the mistakes and learn from it. Best to make those mistakes with the butts and not the brisket!

Nice save!!!
Butts are fairly forgiving and it is hard to totally screw them up.
Timing mistakes happen, I made the same and ended up having my 1st pulled pork at 2AM with the misses sleeping on the outdoor couch :oops:
Live and learn and retry.

After four hours the meat won't take on much more smoke flavor.

If it happens again, chuck those butts in the oven to finish them faster!

Channeling, Ronelle...Naked Fatty's Rock!:rockon:

Back