A quick question about beans

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Terry
I'm making a pot of beans for a family cookout this weekend.
The only problem is we haven't decided whether it will be Friday or Saturday.
The question is if I soak the dry beans Thursday night, and end up not cooking them till Saturday, will they turn to mush or dry out if I store them drained and rinsed in the fridge an extra day?
Or just toss them and soak another bag?

Thanks!

I find overnight soaking not necessary, pintos four hours seems to be plenty, navy beans six will do. I just start mine in the morning, with at least one water change.

Last edited:
Get yourself a pressure cooker. Dry pinto beans cook in ~1 hour (15 min to pressurize, 35 min to cook, ~15 min to de-pressurize).

I'm actually sitting here while I type (one handed) eating white beans and ham cooked in my pressure cooker.

Never worry about soaking beans again. :)

It will work. I soaked beans overnight for an early morning Crock Pot cook but I was unexpectedly called to work. I drained the beans and put them in a bowl in the refrigerator. They were already bloated where they took on the water. If you have to hold them an extra day just keep them chilled and they'll be fine.

Do a quick soak the day of the cook.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/quick-soak-method-for-dried-beans-2215821

Unlike the instructions above I bring to a light boil and then soak. It's not necessary to drain and refill the liquid. You throw away flavor when you do. Just cook in the soak liquid. If you want to, use some low/no sodium chicken stock instead of water for some added flavor.

So, question, I cook dry beans and have never soaked them. They always turn out excellent, what is the point of soaking dry beans?

So, question, I cook dry beans and have never soaked them. They always turn out excellent, what is the point of soaking dry beans?

1. It helps to soften them up for cooking
2. It cleans them well

I toss the water the beans soak in and start cooking with fresh water. Makes for a much cleaner and tastier pot likker

1. It helps to soften them up for cooking
2. It cleans them well

I toss the water the beans soak in and start cooking with fresh water. Makes for a much cleaner and tastier pot likker

They will not turn to mush from soaking alone, they just become hydrated and ready for cooking.

So basically it reduces cooking time and makes it easier to get them done with out them cooking up and turning mushy?

I'm making a pot of beans for a family cookout this weekend.
The only problem is we haven't decided whether it will be Friday or Saturday.
The question is if I soak the dry beans Thursday night, and end up not cooking them till Saturday, will they turn to mush or dry out if I store them drained and rinsed in the fridge an extra day?
Or just toss them and soak another bag?

Thanks!
Gotten lazy getting older. Lost a lot of my old prep/cooking inspiration...generally use canned beans now.

The basic dry bean recipe from the book Nourishing Traditions starting with the soak:

-2 cups dry black, white, kidney, pinto beans, or black-eyed peas
-warm filtered water to cover
-2 tablespoons whey or lemon juice (there is underlying science presented in the first 80-90 pages of the book)
-4 mashed garlic cloves (listed as optional)

The recipe calls for soaking the beans 12-24 hours, rinsing, then bring to a boil, reducing heat to simmer and cooking for 4-8 hours.

Met the primary author of the book over 20 years ago. Lives in DC. Stayed at our home couple times when in the Detroit area delivering nutritional seminars. One of the most intelligent people I've ever met.

Never told her the 4-8 hour suggested simmer time after the soak was insane. Bean mush.

I "de-gas" my beans. No soak. Gentle boil for 10 minutes, rinse pot, beans, and strainer. Boil for another 10 minutes with fresh water, and then rinse pot, beans, strainer. Repeat this one more time (3 times total). Then get fresh water and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until they're done. I do this the night before I'm ready to cook them.

If interested in "degassing" beans. This video explains it well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUbM_YiHoNI

I "de-gas" my beans. No soak. Gentle boil for 10 minutes, rinse pot, beans, and strainer. Boil for another 10 minutes with fresh water, and then rinse pot, beans, strainer. Repeat this one more time (3 times total). Then get fresh water and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until they're done. I do this the night before I'm ready to cook them.

If interested in "degassing" beans. This video explains it well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUbM_YiHoNI

That’s a myth.
It’s also much like non-alcoholic beer. What’s the point??

That’s a myth.
It’s also much like non-alcoholic beer. What’s the point??

The point is my stomach feels a lot better when I do this and I can eat more ribs and feel much better the next day. Have you tried it or researched the science behind it? I have, and it makes a big difference. There's a lot of rich food being served at BBQs, so I feel this helps make the meal more enjoyable for those who don't have steel traps for stomachs.

Last edited:
Back