THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
I have 2 unopened bottles of BBQ Sauce. Says on the bottle cap "Use By 8/15/20". Both are still sealed and have been stored in a cool, dry place. I have no problem chunking them but I've always been skeptical of these dates as the manufacturers have no idea of the conditions they will be used or stored. Growing up they did not have these dates and no one ever got sick.

OK to use?

Thanks! :thumb:

I’ve kept opened sauces in the fridge for so long I wouldn’t be worried at all about unopened ones, personally. If it hasn’t materially separated or is visually bad (mold) which has rarely happened I wouldn’t feel bad about using it. That meant said I don’t keep them around for several years either. I’ll toss anything I don’t like enough to use before that happens.

This article pretty much sums up what I do. Except I look at the lid as well as above the sauce level. I’m all for saving money as noted by my Bargain Bin meat shopping.
I try to buy small bottles of things like Q as we never make it through a bottle before tossing. Wife doesn’t toss nearly as quick as I do. Our biggest waste is her Salad Dressing. She likes bottled I prefer home made. We always have the ingredients for blue cheese, ranch and Thousand Island, or tasty facsimiles there Of. We may have a salad every 3-4 weeks depending on latest recall lettuce news.
Anyway, here’s the link

https://www.doesitgobad.com/does-bbq-sauce-go-bad/

From a food science standpoint (I did food science before i became a nurse) the use-by date is determined by a taste panel. When the food appreciably changes in some quality or another that's detectable by the panel, that's the use-by date. Those changes could be deterioration or improvement. These sauces are canned and sterile in the bottle until opened. Some canned products actually improve with age (tomatoes and sardines are notable examples). There are almost never any actual food safety issues. I've eaten Korean War-era c-rations with no ill effects (although the peanut butter was almost always separated). As long as the seal pops when you open it, it should be safe.

They wont be contaminated, they just might break down some. Like a thick BBQ sauce might get a little runny but it will be fine. Also, sauces with any vinegar have a long shelf life after the expiration date.

Back