A little advice on smokers please...

3Cases

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello all! I've been lurking around this site for years soaking up all sorts of knowledge. I have recently decided it was time to take my BBQ to the next level, so I figured I better become an actual member.

I've been smoking on my Weber performer for about 10 years just using the basic indirect method. I've been able to achieve some pretty decent Q but I'm now looking for more room and the ability to produce more consistent results. A little over a year ago I set my goal of being able to produce a high quality brisket on a consistent basis, and haven't been able to reproduce the same results twice.

So, it's time for a new toy!! Initially I was simply going to go to a WSM 22. I figured it would give me enough room to do what I want, but it wasn't an entirely new thought process on smoking, so I would be able to get the hang of it rather quickly. Then I started thinking about all the times I've traveled to Texas and had amazing brisket. I have never had what I would consider competition grade brisket off of anything other than a traditional offset smoker. Not saying it can't be done of course! But I decided that if I was going to spend The money on a new set up I should just go for what I truly want. I don't have a ton of cash, so I've identified a couple models around $1000 that I can purchase near me so that I don't have to pay an additional few hundred dollars in shipping.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on these two models from anyone who has used them, or use products by these manufacturers.

First is a KAT RF 32x17. From what I have read this company produces a high-quality product. They are only a couple hours from where I am currently stationed, so I would be able to drive down and pick it up as well.
http://www.katbbqsmokers.com/reverse_flow_smoker/

The traditional offset I am looking at is a Yoder Cheyenne. This also looks like a well built pit by a company that produces high-quality results. There is a retailer a couple hours from where I live that supposedly stocks these, even though they haven't returned my emails.
http://www.yodersmokers.com/cheyenne.html

I really don't know which way to go! I know the RF vs traditional debate has happened hundreds of times before, and the Final conclusion always seems to be six one-way and half dozen another. With the moral of the story being if you know your cooker you can produce decent BBQ on almost anything. That being said, between these two models, can you identify any strengths or weaknesses that would cause me to lean towards one more than the other???

I've done a lot of reading, and have heard some random things about RF, such as the meat will end up with less of a smoke flavor, and the drippings will sizzle on the plate sometimes which could cause an odd flavor to be incorporated. Anyone have experience with this? I've also read that unless I purchase tuning plates for a standard offset, I'm going to have temperature variations up to 30° from one side to the other.

I know this is a long winded post, but I hope that by providing specifics I can get more feedback! Also, if anyone knows of a place within a few hours of the SF Bay Area where I can get something similar in price, feel free to share your info with me! Thank you all in advance!!

I think you have answered you're own question. EITHER of these pits will be a winner IMO.

However, if you pushed me I would go KAT. I like a RF design and the flavor given off from the plate beneath. HOWEVER, Yoder is awesome and has VERY good customer service. So, again as you said....ya can't go wrong.

Flip a coin. I'd go with Kat cuz he will customize it any kind of way you want. :heh: He makes a BadAzz Wagon style backyard pit you can pull thru grass/ over gravel/ to the neighborhood block party etc.....

Depending on how much you will cook (in future - you can outgrow a pit pretty quickly) I'd step up to 20-22" pipe tho. :wink:

I like this Kat but it's nowhere near $1K. :mrgreen:
http://katbbqsmokers.com/48x24reverseflow/

Last edited:
That is a nice pit! I really like the wagon set up as well. But that is more than I can spend right now.

Once I'm done moving around the country every 3 to 4 years I will definitely look to spend a pretty penny on a fancy set up wherever I settle down.

You can PM the owner of KAT he's member and participates quite regularly on this forum or better yet just give him a call. Tell him what your budget is and what you're looking for. If you are going to shop for a Yoder or any other smoker that needs to bet shipped you better checkout what shipping costs will be.

I'd rather put the money I have into the Smoker vs shipping costs so that would play heavily on my decision.

From what I have seen of the KAT products, they are a good bet and a real advantage if you live nearby. You might try Craigslist in San Francisco and south of there to save some money. There are usually a few good buys on CL and they are easy to resell when moving.

Maybe someone else on this forum has had problems with RF cookers imparting bad flavors, but I find it hard to believe-- unless it is the cook and not the cooker. The RF plate usually enhances the flavor of the meat rather than detracting.

Also, I will find it hard to believe that anyone who has used a standard offset and a properly designed RF offset will assert that the RF lacks smoke profile. I am sure you will hear from others shortly about this.

Good hunting.

I will probably give KAT a call in the next couple days. The more I read about their products the more I'm leaning towards them. The idea of having it built nearby is a plus for me. I just feel like if I know that it's an actual human being who I can see with my own eyes putting everything together, there is a better chance the end product will be what I really want.

I'm just nervous to pull the trigger and am looking for you guys to point me in the right direction!

I've owned both regular and RF offsets and I would say that if anything a RF will give more smoke profile, but they're definitely even at least. And the baffle plate gets noisy for sure, but there is no adverse flavor from it. As a beginning offset user, I think you'll like the reverse flow better. Even temps, more user friendly.

And a 30 degree temp difference without tuning plates sounds low tbh. I've seen much worse than that!

For where you are, I'd go Kat as well. He builds a top shelf product, you can customize it, and you won't be throwing away hundreds in shipping. Shipping a 1/4" thick offset is not cheap. I'd take the shipping fees you were going to put into the yoder and upgrade the Kat.

Call Yoder at the factory, ask for Joe or Joey. They'll get any of your questions answered right away if the retailer is not responding.
The Cheyenne can be customized also.
620-802-0236

I say, buy the KAT Smoker, because I want to support my local pit builder (sort of local). The pits looks great, his quality seems to be spot on. Plus, if you can pick it up, instead of paying freight, then that is more money you can put into the pit.

If I was looking for a pure brisket cooker, I would consider a traditional stickburner, but, a RF will allow you are lot of versatility and ease of learning.

BTW, I have taken two walks for brisket, cooking on a UDS. Just about any cooker can produce competition grade brisket, on any given day, if the cook is sober and awake and does a good job, or gets lucky (me)

Just about any cooker can produce competition grade brisket, on any given day, if the cook is sober and awake and does a good job, or gets lucky (me)

The biggest challenge for me on my kettle is consistency. I have produced one brisket that would challenge the best I've had in Texas, a couple that I thought were decent, but most fall in to the category where I think it is just "ok" but people I'm serving it to who don't know any better think it's great.

I can smoke butts and ribs all day everyday on my Weber and be completely happy with the results, but every single time I do a brisket on there I end up with different results due to different factors. I know some things will still play a part with an actual smoker, such as outside temp and winds, but I hope it will have less of an impact.

The factors of being sober and/or awake are things I will have to address separately!!

I can tell you, there are times you can produce great brisket when drunk, but, fall asleep at the wrong time and it doesn't matter what you did with the cooker.

From what I have seen of the KAT products, they are a good bet and a real advantage if you live nearby. You might try Craigslist in San Francisco and south of there to save some money. There are usually a few good buys on CL and they are easy to resell when moving.

Maybe someone else on this forum has had problems with RF cookers imparting bad flavors, but I find it hard to believe-- unless it is the cook and not the cooker. The RF plate usually enhances the flavor of the meat rather than detracting.

Also, I will find it hard to believe that anyone who has used a standard offset and a properly designed RF offset will assert that the RF lacks smoke profile. I am sure you will hear from others shortly about this.

Good hunting.

Bought my Lang off CL saved me about $1700,all it needed was a good cleaning an reseasoning.If you have the time you can find something you want at a fair price. Good luck

Sounds like you have a good plan. I would buy as big as smoker as you can afford within reason. Get something you can grow into.
Good luck with your search!

Ken at cats smokers is a stand up guy... I have seen many pics of his product and it glistens with pride... He is also a fellow brethern and beyond any shAdow of a doubt in my mind... He and his son will stand behind there product ... I really know nothing about the other manufacturer ...

I have a Lang model 84 deluxe (RF) and I love it! anything you put into a smoker will drip fat and I t will "sizzle" so i don't think that that is a factor. I have about a 40° difference between sides on my pit. I would think that a traditional offset would be greater than that. Yoder is a great smoker too, in fact i was looking into them as well but found the Lang on Craigslist for a great deal. I have 2 wsm's and they're great, but there's nothing like a stick burner. After looking at them both though, I'd go with the Yoder. Its thicker and looks better, I really like the looks of the Yoders.

Ken at cats smokers is a stand up guy... I have seen many pics of his product and it glistens with pride... He is also a fellow brethern and beyond any shAdow of a doubt in my mind... He and his son will stand behind there product ... I really know nothing about the other manufacturer ...

Thanks Paul for all the kind words......Hope all is well at Shirley Fabrication

God Bless You and Your Family

Thanks Paul for all the kind words......Hope all is well at Shirley Fabrication

God Bless You and Your Family

Thx Ken back atcha brother... What is so cool.. Is we both build cookers... And are willing to help one another out with no animosity of Jealously... I hope God blesses the sox off of your business..:)

Talked to Ken at KATS on the phone for over half an hour. His explanation for everything they do made complete sense and made my decision easy. However, after talking to him I decided that if I was going to spend the money I might as well spend a little bit more and get something I'm not going to grow out of anytime soon! So I went with the 36x20 instead of the 32x17. The wait seems like a lifetime, but I'm sure it will be worth it when I get it home!

Back