A General Tso Salmon (Big Thanks to Brethren Kapn)

Wow Jeanie you have a way to take fish to the next level. Looks amazingly delicious.

Wow Jeanie you have a way to take fish to the next level. Looks amazingly delicious.

Thank you Bill! The glaze was delicious and the salmon took on the smoke well. Hope to make this again.

My only thought would have been to brush with sauce after scoring so that the pieces were all coated on all sides with sauce.

Otherwise great idea! Looks like it turned out well. Would probably work well with the Orange sauce as well. My family is not big fans of General Tso sauce but all devour the Orange sauce.

I've met him a couple of times on our treks to Florida. But he never gave ME a Brethren hat. [Jealous mod]

Well Clark, it came down to Jeanie being a "10" on the "cuteness scale".
Sorry my friend. 8) 8)

First, Jeanie, that looks great...

Second, Tim, can you describe that sauce? And a mention of where one can get one of those hats would be nice too...

I am the world's worst at describing taste.
It has a touch of heat from something and a bit of a tang from vinegar.
Very nicely balanced IMHO.
Jeanie could probably do better at describing it.

We have found it at Walmart (very hit or miss there) and at Publix.
I just buy it by the 6-pack from Amazon.
Same price as the store. Be careful. There are a lot of dramatically overpriced options there.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/IRON-CHEF-Sauce-General-14-0000/dp/B008426U7S/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1471353125&sr=1-7&keywords=general+tso+sauce"]Amazon.com : IRON CHEF Sauce, General Tso 14.0000 OZ (Pack of 6) : Sweet And Sour Sauces : Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame]

I keep a squeeze bottle in the refrig all the time.
This is a very strong sauce. I would never think of tossing chicken wings in it. Just a drizzle (maybe 1/2 teaspoon or so) on a wing segment is plenty for me.

The hat is from about 2004 or 2005.
Greg (Parrothead) did them up for us.
We were much smaller then and it was logistically possible.
Doubt it can be done now with the massive size of our membership.
And, these suckers cost a fortune to make. 8)

TIM

Another amazing looking cook, Cowgirl. :thumb:

I'm a huge fan of smoked salmon in all variations. :-D

My only thought would have been to brush with sauce after scoring so that the pieces were all coated on all sides with sauce.

Otherwise great idea! Looks like it turned out well. Would probably work well with the Orange sauce as well. My family is not big fans of General Tso sauce but all devour the Orange sauce.

Thanks! I score the salmon for more smoke penetration and a quicker cook time... it works well. :thumb:

Well Clark, it came down to Jeanie being a "10" on the "cuteness scale".
Sorry my friend. 8) 8)

I am the world's worst at describing taste.
It has a touch of heat from something and a bit of a tang from vinegar.
Very nicely balanced IMHO.
Jeanie could probably do better at describing it.

We have found it at Walmart (very hit or miss there) and at Publix.
I just buy it by the 6-pack from Amazon.
Same price as the store. Be careful. There are a lot of dramatically overpriced options there.

Amazon.com : IRON CHEF Sauce, General Tso 14.0000 OZ (Pack of 6) : Sweet And Sour Sauces : Grocery & Gourmet Food

I keep a squeeze bottle in the refrig all the time.
This is a very strong sauce. I would never think of tossing chicken wings in it. Just a drizzle (maybe 1/2 teaspoon or so) on a wing segment is plenty for me.

The hat is from about 2004 or 2005.
Greg (Parrothead) did them up for us.
We were much smaller then and it was logistically possible.
Doubt it can be done now with the massive size of our membership.
And, these suckers cost a fortune to make. 8)

TIM

Thanks again Tim! I like the squeeze bottle idea, will give it a try. :becky:

Another amazing looking cook, Cowgirl. :thumb:

I'm a huge fan of smoked salmon in all variations. :-D

Thank you Piney! :grin:

You make me crave my least favorite item to eat. The score is a fantastic idea, specially as I love salmon patties (croquettes to you Eastern Brethren) made from grilled smoked salmon. Once again, I learn. Thank You!!

You make me crave my least favorite item to eat. The score is a fantastic idea, specially as I love salmon patties (croquettes to you Eastern Brethren) made from grilled smoked salmon. Once again, I learn. Thank You!!

Now you have me thinking about salmon patties. I don't have fish leftover from this cook but I have some of my cold smoked, canned salmon. Looks like supper is planned.
Thanks again Adams!! :becky:

Back