A flaw in the plan? (turkey related)

batboy

Got Wood.
It's a 2-turkey year. Wife is doing a herb-heavy oven roasted bird, I'm responsible for bird #2 on the smoker.

Because I want different flavors, my plan is/was to stay away from the herbs and to dry brine my bird in salt only, then hit it with Raging River rub (by Dizzy Pig) which my family loves on poultry. The problem is that Raging River has a fair amount of salt (there is a no-salt version but I don't have any and it's too late to order and guaranty timely delivery) and I'm afraid that a salted dry rub after a brine will be too salty. So. . .

1 - Am I overthinking this? Maybe I just go with my plan and hope that it won't be too salty.

2 - Can I instead ADD salt to the Raging River and dry brine with this concoction? If so, how much salt to add?

3 - Maybe I should ditch the raging river and use a different, unsalted non-herby rub. Any recommendations?

4 - Maybe I should ditch the raging river and just go with a flavored dry brine. Any recommendations?

Here is my 2 cents.

Stick with 1/2 teaspoon of (coarse) sea salt per pound for the dry brine and then use your rub.

Dry brine will work at that minimal salt level and it won't make the bird the least bit salty.

:thumb:

Back