THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got a set of 4 bacon wrapped tenderloins from Omaha Steaks for Xmas. Frozen rock hard. Took the bacon off, into a vacuum sealer bag and tossed it in the sous vide for about 2 hours at 129. As was mentioned...add an hour for frozen steak. Some of the best tasting steak I've ever had.

Here is a good link for steaks...Serious Eats. The site has info on chicken, pork, etc....

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html#thick

Tag for later....

I'm getting closer to seeing the value in one of these gadgets I think

Definitely agree on the time line. On famy camping trips, I'm the designated meat Cooker. Usually, this involves an hour or more to set up the charcoal, prep the steaks, grill them and have them come off when others have the sides ready. It can be quite a dance.

This last trip, we stayed in a lodge that had a Weber Genny gasser right in the kitchen. I was tasked with cooking 12 1.5lb Porterhouse steaks.

After little after lunch, I asked people for a ballpark time of when they wanted dinner. They said 6ish. I went ahead and filled up 2 buss tubs with water and set up 2 Anovas. At 3pm, I put the 12 vac packages in the water and turned the Anovas on. That was it, dinner was cooking. I asked the ones doing sides to give me a 20 minute heads up when they were ready to eat. Then, I was free to play.

At 630, people said that there stuff would be ready in 30 mins. I continued to play. At 645, I fired up the Genny on high to heat up. Pulled the 12 bags, grayed the steaks, seasoned both sides one and waited. As the taters came out of the oven I proceeded to sear off 6 steaks at a time on the 700 degree grill. Took a total of about 5 minutes for all 12 steaks. Simple, easy and they all tasted great and were perfectly cooked.

I was somewhat leery, but am sold on SV now

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Short ribs come alive at 72 hours in the bath!!!

What's your procedure for short ribs? Do you then just pull them out and sear to eat like a steak, etc?

If I'm not smoking them my short rib cooks are usually braised in wine/aromatics/etc. Haven't done them in my sous vide yet.

Back