A few thoughts on sous vide

dgaddis1

Full Fledged Farker
Thanks to you guys (and the internet in general) I decided I wanted a sous vide and got one for Christmas. Went with the Anova Nano. It's really small and easy to store, and is priced really well, we got it for $65 on black Friday.

I didn't get the Wifi version because I have no desire for Wifi connectivity. It does have bluetooth, but I haven't bothered using it. You can use the Nano with any phone app, 'cause it's got buttons and a screen, which I like.

OKAY. I've used it three times so far, tri-tip, chicken breasts, and a pork tenderloin. Tri-tip and pork tenderloin were both seared on the kettle to finish. The chicken was cooked along with a store bought tandori marinade, and didn't get any sear or any other finishing after coming out of the bag.

I haven't done any really long cooks on it yet, the tri-tip cook was the longest at two hours.

The chicken was realllly good, and noticeably better than any chicken breast I've ever grilled, which usually turn out a little dry.

The pork tenderloin and the tri-tip were also good, but I wouldn't say they were any better than how I usually cook them on the kettle with a reverse sear.

What I like about sous vide the most is something I hadn't really thought about :: it frees up your timeline and schedule. What I mean by that, if you're cooking on the grill or in an oven you can overcook your meat, leave it in too long and the internal temp will go past where you want it. So, if you put the meat on the grill, but then get caught up doing something else and don't get started on the sides fast enough, your meat is either done too soon, or it gets over cooked.

We've got a 9 month old baby at home, so, "stuff" comes up all the time haha.

With sous vide, if something comes up that makes me step away for a little while....no worries. You can't overcook the meat, and it also won't get done too soon and have to come out and then get cold. That's pretty cool, and makes for a less stressful cook, especially on a weeknight when I always seem to be in a hurry.

Obviously you don't want to step away for hours at a time, but if you end up 20minutes behind schedule, no worries.

I do tri-tip sous vide but I think that 2 hours is not long enough to break down the fibers. The longest I have done is 10 hours then sear. Came out really tender and not mushy. Probably could have done it a bit longer with no problem. Haven't done chicken or pork.

Sous vide overcooked is just overly tender which may not be a problem unless you forget you're cooking for a few days. (and the water would be long gone by then anyway)

I bought some thick rib eyes to prepare for Christmas day and I seasoned them up, vacuumed sealed, and put them in the sous vide bath the night before to go ahead and cook them. Then I threw them in the fridge until I was ready the next day. Christmas day I pulled them out and let them warm up a bit and right before serving I seared them on a very hot flat top until I had a good crust.

That made timing things a lot easier.

Do you guys that use it find it easy? I think it would be convenient. I'd thought about getting one for that. When are those steaks gonna be done? -Any time you want. Although I would probably sear on the cast iron outside on the side burner of the gasser.

I recieved one for Christmas also, so for I have done Salmon, ribeyes, pork tender loin and Picanha steaks. I seared everything with a torch and all have been very good flavor wise and tender.

The timing aspect is super handy. I use it whenever we are doing a dinner with people coming over. It seems nobody can respect timelines these days. With a sous vide I know I can pull it and sear it when people finally show up, and the food is spot on.

Agree. The flexibility on timing has been one of the main reasons I've used mine the times I have. There are times when it's nice to have a couple hour window to work within.

The Anova is a great machine. Love doing steaks, pork chops and chicken. Can't beat the tenderness. Looking forward to doing ribs or something with a long cook soon.

I would add that it is great on fish. I don't eat fish (never enjoyed the taste) but my wife asks for it. Was pretty much terrible at cooking fish until I could lock it into its perfect IT and leave it there for 30-45 minutes, then sear to finish. Changed my game big time.

Do you guys that use it find it easy? I think it would be convenient. I'd thought about getting one for that. When are those steaks gonna be done? -Any time you want. Although I would probably sear on the cast iron outside on the side burner of the gasser.

It's completely easy to use!

I like searing out on the grill. I can get more heat and no worries about smoking out the house haha. Plus, I've gotten to where I like searing using fire instead of a hot surface. In other words, instead of putting the meat on a cast iron plate, I put it directly over some burning wood chunks and let the flame lick the meat. I get a more even sear that way.

Like this. This tri-tip was cooked entirely on the kettle, doing a reverse sear.

4PTJ7pSh.jpg

Result ::

XxCJxUQh.jpg

Pro's - Plenty Time, tender, can not over cook

Cons - when doung a 35hr chuckroast at 155F and I take a day trip while it cooking and
the power goes out.
- On long SV's you must seal the top of the pot or it will evaporate out

I'm nearing the end of a 24 hour short rib sous vide cook as I type. I love the sous vide because I've got a crazy schedule. I don't have time to cook most nights. With sous vide, I can take a pre-seasoned frozen steak out of the freezer the night before. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight, and drop it in the sous vide bath the next morning. Cooks all day while I'm gone and I can sear it on my Joe Jr. when I get home. Perfect steak, and I don't have to spend any extra time I don't have on it.

I'm nearing the end of a 24 hour short rib sous vide cook as I type. I love the sous vide because I've got a crazy schedule. I don't have time to cook most nights. With sous vide, I can take a pre-seasoned frozen steak out of the freezer the night before. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight, and drop it in the sous vide bath the next morning. Cooks all day while I'm gone and I can sear it on my Joe Jr. when I get home. Perfect steak, and I don't have to spend any extra time I don't have on it.

You can also just put the frozen steak into the bath in the morning, and figure an hour longer for the cook. But my guess is you wouldn't need to add that time given that you're talking SV-ing it for your work day.

Short ribs come alive at 72 hours in the bath!!!

You can also just put the frozen steak into the bath in the morning, and figure an hour longer for the cook. But my guess is you wouldn't need to add that time given that you're talking SV-ing it for your work day.

Have you done this with frozen steaks? It's on my list to try, but I've heard mixed results from people that have done it.

Have you done this with frozen steaks? It's on my list to try, but I've heard mixed results from people that have done it.

I got a set of 4 bacon wrapped tenderloins from Omaha Steaks for Xmas. Frozen rock hard. Took the bacon off, into a vacuum sealer bag and tossed it in the sous vide for about 2 hours at 129. As was mentioned...add an hour for frozen steak. Some of the best tasting steak I've ever had.

Here is a good link for steaks...Serious Eats. The site has info on chicken, pork, etc....

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html#thick

Hey abracc,

That is an awesome article with some great info in there for a newby.

Cheers

Langers

I thought so too. My butcher turned me on to that site. There are some real good articles on sous vide pork, chicken and other things on there as well.

Back