A cole slaw epiphany

I use a cabbage mandoline intended for sauerkraut. It makes a fairly large cut, but it's good.

Here's, base recipe:

Cabbage
3/4 cup mayo (Blue Plate preferred, Duke's OK, Miracle Whip banned)
1/3 cup ACV
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp celery seeds
salt and pepper to taste

I am a fan of tang, not a fan of zing, when it comes to coleslaw. I feel green cabbage has a natural Zing (aka spicy bite) to it when its in its raw state. Similar to eating a raw onion.

That said, i do love horseradish. When i make cocktail sauce i add 75/25 horseradish,ketchup. Not sure why raw green cabbage bothers my throat more then actual spicy vegetables.

Well, I can say that this recipe:
https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/tangy-horseradish-coleslaw/f3515b3e-b7dd-4dd5-9aa5-c39ef52ee5c9

was WAY too much HR for us. It also made for a very thick dressing. I used miracle whip since I had some open and I rarely use it, thought it might work well here. I don't think it was the fault of the MW here, but yea... back to the drawing board here. I'll try some of the other recipes shared and add a pinch of horseradish. I know in the recipes I like, it's there, but very subtle.

And ditto on the cocktail sauce - I like a lot of bite to my cocktail sauce. Maybe not as much as the Elmo's Steakhouse stuff has, but I find that mixing that with basic store cocktail sauce gives me a happy medium. But I really only like that amount with shrimp for some reason.

Back