A cole slaw epiphany

toddrhodes

Knows what a fatty is.
Boy do I feel like a newb today. So I've been after a creamy cole slaw recipe the likes I've had in restaurants dozens of times - just green cabbage and carrots with a thin dressing that has a bit of zing and tang to it.

I've tried probably 20 different recipes trying to find one that gets close - none do. So I'm sitting down eating some slaw from the local grocer who has one just like I like. And then it dawned on me - that magical ingredient is horseradish. I had never even considered that could be an ingredient in cole slaw but after a quick search, it is absolutely a thing.

So tomorrow, the wife is heading out to the store to get some prepared horseradish and I'm going to try and make the cole slaw of my dreams (lol).

There is always something to learn at every turn with BBQ and sides. Anyway, hope you found this humorous :)

Your welcome to borrow one of my Breville sous chef processors they aren't doing much of anything right now, they make the best slaw I've had your spot on with the horseradish that will change your life.

I use the same Woeber's horseradish sauce we serve with prime rib to make slaw, you can't miss with it.

Interesting. Would never have thought of it but you’re right, I can see where that’s a flavor that’s probably been in a number I’ve eaten.

Your welcome to borrow one of my Breville sous chef processors they aren't doing much of anything right now, they make the best slaw I've had your spot on with the horseradish that will change your life.

I use the same Woeber's horseradish sauce we serve with prime rib to make slaw, you can't miss with it.

Never thought of using a food processor for it. I have a decent 13 cup unit from Cuisinart. Not a Breville for sure, but for the little we use it, I may have to give it a spin. Dumb question maybe but are you just rough chopping the ingredients and using the blade to process it? Or putting everything through a shredding wheel?

I'll keep an eye out for Woeber's. My wife was going to buy Zatarin's (sp?) if she finds it, we figured that was a safe brand to try. Would I need to go to Stanz for Woebers?

Thanks sir!!

I shred about half and julienne the other half, gives you some variance in the texture and bite.

Woeber's is nothing more than light mayo and prepared horseradish, I buy it by the case in gallons from web-restaurant supply but I make small batches in the processor using the emulsifier disk if I just want some for the house or a small cook.

Your Cuisinart should do a good job shredding maybe use the large and small side and experiment a bit for texture if it's reversible.

You can substitute Miracle Whip salad dressing for mayo for a slightly different angle.

I'm not at all against using a bagged mix. I use Dole or Aldi bagged salad mix all the time (I eat a lot of salad), too.

I do happen to have some nice carrots and a fresh head of green cabbage from our Misfit Box though, so I'll go fresh this time around.

Am I the only one that just grabs the bag of slaw mix from the produce aisle?
Ed

Nope.... another bag fan here with a simple caveat. I find the bag stuff is too coarse and I have to chop to the exact size I prefer. Also, I avoid the tri-color stuff (carrots I believe) which will turn the sauce pink when using ACV.

You can substitute Miracle Whip salad dressing for mayo for a slightly different angle.
No. No you can't. And this is from someone who grew up on Miracle Whip and didn't have mayo until his 20s. Although I can see substituting it for Hellmann's - it's equally as nasty :puke:

Nope.... another bag fan here with a simple caveat. I find the bag stuff is too coarse and I have to chop to the exact size I prefer. Also, I avoid the tri-color stuff (carrots I believe) which will turn the sauce pink when using ACV.
Grocery stores around here carry angel hair coleslaw, like this: https://www.freshexpress.com/products/cole-slaw/angel-hair-coleslaw-salad-kit

I get the angel hair shredded cabbage whenever I can find it. Kroger has it.

Last edited:
I'm a complete slaw fanatic. Biggest pet peeves is the store slaw dressing, stuff is an abomination. I do prefer food processor fine shred cabbage, but have used a lot of pre package, actually like the cube style for going on pulled pork sandwiches, just gives a cleaner bite through. My go to sauce, Hellmann's MAYO, Woeber horseradish sauce, cider vinegar, sugar, salt and a bit heavy on course ground pepper.

Back