THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Captain Ron
I received an e-mail from a local grocery store that they were taking preorders for Hatch Chiles. They are hard to find around here so I jumped on it and ordered a case, roasted. I picked them up at lunch today. That is a lot of chiles :shocked:

6080919_D-4_BA9-427_C-9_F61-045_C40_F1_B25_E.jpg

They packaged them on styrofoam flats...

5145_A88_E-_ADF3-4659-_B44_B-8_D52_F15_F0_C6_A.jpg

I am planning on vacuum sealing them for the freezer. For those who have done this, how many do you put in a package?

In case I don’t get to freeze them tonight, how long will they last in the fridge?

Personally- I remove the stem and about 1" of meat- this gets the majority of the seeds. I store them 8-10 in a zip lock freezer bag flat as possible. Push out the air and freeze. You can easily break off 1 or more frozen pepper depending on your cook. The reason I cut the stem is I've found a frozen stem is like a nail and will puncture packaging.

Again- just me- I discard any thawed chiles not eaten in three days. I read that somewhere and it stuck. I've used frozen Chile 14-16 months no problem still tasted great. No freezer burn.

I get them sizzling hot 165+ whenever I use them in any dish.

I've found no benefit to vacuum packaging through the years.

https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/roasting-peeling-instructions/

Thanks... I was thinking of vac sealing to prevent freezer burn since these will last a while.

Do I need to get them into the freezer tonight or could it wait until Sunday? They were roasted this morning.

I'm an immediate freeze guy. You should get by with 18-20 thick zip locks. If not double a few up for big Chile weeks. I'm winging it here not knowing your size peppers but "usually" about 8-12 chiles chopped makes a cup.

That's another way of storing. Go ahead and chop and place 1-2 cups chopped per baggie. Coarse chopped- not to small.

Here's a photo of the Chile I used on yesterday's stacked burger. 2016 XXHot. Broke off from a froze package and grilled.

Last edited:
I immediately freeze what I'm not going to use that day. Sometimes I pull the skin off, sometimes I don't. Either way.

I use Ziploc bags and have never had an issue with freezer burn up to 18 months.

I fire roast them then de-stem then pulverize in blender then vac bag them... a case just about gets me thru the year... pulled pork with hatch vinegar sauce is fantastic.

I passed on this year's hatch chile roast. I still have vac-sealed peppers from last year!

Back