THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
So, a buddy of mine was in the office a couple weeks ago telling me about a shrimp dish he had while on his travels in France many years ago. The dish was a bacon wrapped filet of shrimp with a buttery reduction poured over it. As he was talking about it, I knew it was something I would be trying soon.

The weather looked like it was going to be pretty wet yesterday, but I was pushing on. I figured that due to actual heat and possible rain, I may not feel like or be able to fire up the grill. I had no problem preparing this dish inside however.

I had some super thin bacon on hand that I knew would need minimal cooking time, so I didn't pre-cook the bacon. I could have used thicker bacon and pre-cooked it a bit and let a hot grill crisp it up. That would definitely work.

I peeled and de-veined a little over three pounds of jumbo white shrimp to make these.

I began with two shrimp in a small circle and began to add shrimp until I go to my desired circumference and then made a second layer on top of that before wrapping it in the super thin bacon. I seasoned them with some Chef Paul's blackened redfish seasoning, Old Bay and fine sea salt.

On the side, I put a stick of salted butter, the juice of half a lemon and about a glass of white wine and fresh cracked white pepper and reduced that down by a little over half and killed the heat.

I cooked the filet in butter for about three minutes on one side over medium heat and then flipped it. I cooked the other side for two minutes on medium heat and then put the lid on the pan and turned the heat up to high and let it go two more minutes.

During those two minutes, I added fresh Italian parsley and a couple tablespoons of capers and another splash of white wine to the reduction and turned the heat back up to about medium, until the shrimp filets were done.

I plated the filets and spooned the reduction over the shrimp.

I can't even tell you how good this turned out. I'll be doing this same thing on a grill with some thicker bacon this weekend.

Thanks for looking!

Wow! It sounds like a lot of work, but it looks like it was worth it!

The prep time was just under an hour, counting making the reduction and then the cook time was under ten minutes. Not the quickest meal and it took less time to eat it than it did to cook it!

Nice! I want to try this on the blackstone patio oven on a cast iron pan. It would probably only have to cook for about 1-2 minutes. Thanks!

That looks crazy good and definitely worth trying!

Quick question - you specified salted butter - any particular reason why? I'm just curious 'cause I've been using only unsalted for a while due to the fact it seems not burn as easily, but it's been years and sometimes I wonder if I'm missing something by not using salted butter.

That looks crazy good and definitely worth trying!

Quick question - you specified salted butter - any particular reason why? I'm just curious 'cause I've been using only unsalted for a while due to the fact it seems not burn as easily, but it's been years and sometimes I wonder if I'm missing something by not using salted butter.

Thanks man! It was pretty rad.

I nearly always use unsalted butter, but I had the salted leftover from something I did a couple weeks ago.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Wow how did I miss this! That is one great looking meal!

I usually use the juices in the reduction but using bacon the fat level seems so high it's prolly why you did not.
Wonder if pouring the fatty juices into a shot glass would separate and allow just juices to be added to that tasty reduction for added flavor?

I usually use the juices in the reduction but using bacon the fat level seems so high it's prolly why you did not.
Wonder if pouring the fatty juices into a shot glass would separate and allow just juices to be added to that tasty reduction for added flavor?

A few notes.......I didn't completely dry the shrimp before assembly and probably should have, but I didn't. I had no problem with the dish "staying together", although dry shrimp would probably stick to each other better than moist ones. I definitely could have used the juices in the reduction, but I wanted to make sure the shrimp were hot when served and not overcooked by reheating to plate. They may have stayed hot, but I didn't want to risk it. With thicker bacon, I'd have pre-cooked it, as mentioned above. The taste was fantastic. The reduction really set everything off.

Back