THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That stocking trick reminds me of my favorite question: "Are my seams straight?"...

Anyway - that looks fantastic Jeanie! I have yet to try those bags, but would like to - i'm wondering if those bags reduce loss from having to trim off the rough stuff. I normally dry age a rib roast every year, but I'll be traveling these holidays, therefore no dry aging...

Thank you Titch, please let me know how the grass fed goes. :)

Thank you Cullen! :grin:

Andrew, good to see ya, thanks! :)

Lordkifar, that's great! Ribeyes are my favorite. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes out. Thanks!

Looks great!

Cowgirl - I have a question about the bags, and you're one of the first people I've come across that has used them extensively. And obviously, you're credentials on this site are well established :)

What's the benefit to using the bags? I've read a bunch online going back and forth. It seems like the biggest benefit is to keep the smell down in a shared fridge, is that right?

I'd be terrified to kill a large and expensive piece of meat because I couldn't get the bags to adhere properly....

I'd love to pull a prime rib for Christmas, so it's time to start getting prepped :)

I have a standalone fridge that I use only for beer. Is there benefit to using the bag?

Thanks!

Matt, thanks!!
I've had great luck with these bags. If you get at least 70% of the bag to adhere to the meat, you're good to go. I use a cheap little vacuum sealer and it doesn't suck out as much air as I'd like sometimes.. the stocking helps. If you have a good vacuum sealer, there should be no problem at all.
I've only used my house fridge, but Brethren ssv3 (Sako) has used his small outdoor fridge with good luck. He is the one who introduced me to these bags.
I can't offer advice as far as dry aging without the bags, I've not tried that method. Brethren gtr (Greg) does this every Christmas. He's got it down to an art!!
These bags do keep the smell down in the fridge, no odor at all! Also, you leave a few inches of space around the meat ( don't crowd food against it), this helps the curing process.
If you get the time, search both Sako's and Greg's dry aging posts, they are worth finding.
Not sure if I've been of any help Matt but I hope you have great luck with that prime rib!!
Thanks again. :)

I'm gonna have to start perusing the panty hose aisle. If I get any weird looks, you know who I'm blaming, Jeanie!
lol I'd like to see a pic of that. Thanks James! :becky:

Thank you Gary! :)

That stocking trick reminds me of my favorite question: "Are my seams straight?"...

Anyway - that looks fantastic Jeanie! I have yet to try those bags, but would like to - i'm wondering if those bags reduce loss from having to trim off the rough stuff. I normally dry age a rib roast every year, but I'll be traveling these holidays, therefore no dry aging...

:laugh: These were seamless. I have visions of me trying to wrangle a fishnet stocking onto a large hunk of meat while worrying about getting the seam straight. lol
Greg, I'll miss seeing your prime rib cook this year. Your cooks are always outstanding!
I don't think the bags reduce the amount of trimming, but I've not dry aged without so I can't say for sure. There is quite a bit of meat loss.... I guess it's worth it though for the results.
Thanks Greg! :grin:

You are a busy busy girl!!!! Looks awesome Jen... I want to try this but need to read more.... I'm afraid it will go FUBAR on me.... But I'm gonna get the nerve soon hopefully.... Thx for all your incredible post and amazing contribution to this site.....

You are a busy busy girl!!!! Looks awesome Jen... I want to try this but need to read more.... I'm afraid it will go FUBAR on me.... But I'm gonna get the nerve soon hopefully.... Thx for all your incredible post and amazing contribution to this site.....

Good to see you Paul! :)
I think you'd like dry aging with these bags, the steaks come out pretty tasty.
Shoot, I know how busy you keep. Hope all is going well on your end of the country. Thank you for the kind comment.. :hug: :)

Matt, thanks!!
I've had great luck with these bags. If you get at least 70% of the bag to adhere to the meat, you're good to go. I use a cheap little vacuum sealer and it doesn't suck out as much air as I'd like sometimes.. the stocking helps. If you have a good vacuum sealer, there should be no problem at all.
I've only used my house fridge, but Brethren ssv3 (Sako) has used his small outdoor fridge with good luck. He is the one who introduced me to these bags.
I can't offer advice as far as dry aging without the bags, I've not tried that method. Brethren gtr (Greg) does this every Christmas. He's got it down to an art!!
These bags do keep the smell down in the fridge, no odor at all! Also, you leave a few inches of space around the meat ( don't crowd food against it), this helps the curing process.
If you get the time, search both Sako's and Greg's dry aging posts, they are worth finding.
Not sure if I've been of any help Matt but I hope you have great luck with that prime rib!!
Thanks again. :)

Thanks Cowgirl!

I'll go look up Sako and Greg's posts to see what they say.

Glad to hear that you've had good success with the bags - early reports seemed to show people having trouble with adhering to the meat.

Thanks again!

I really want to try this!
Do you order those bags online?
Might just have to to order some stockings as well, online of course...have to retain some anonymity...small town and all...

-D

Thanks Cowgirl!

I'll go look up Sako and Greg's posts to see what they say.

Glad to hear that you've had good success with the bags - early reports seemed to show people having trouble with adhering to the meat.

Thanks again!

You're sure welcome. Good luck with them Matt! :grin:

I really want to try this!
Do you order those bags online?
Might just have to to order some stockings as well, online of course...have to retain some anonymity...small town and all...

-D

:laugh: I fully understand...small town and all.. :mrgreen:
These came from Amazon.com. Please keep me posted if you get the time. Thanks Dave! :grin:

Thanks Jeanie for sharing tour tecnique and as usual a phenomenal plate ! Complimenti.

Thank you Enrico! :grin:

I got distracted by your post...
Then I got distracted by the pix....
The stocking comment didn't help me refocus.

The burning questions I have are:

How much of the outer layer do you trim off?
How long do you cook that steak?

I'm been thinking about buying some from Whole Foods (until I learn how to do this), but I don't want to ruin a work of art.

I will admit that I never "got" the whole dry aged thing. The cooked finished does look good, but the "before" picture just looks gross. When did deliberately rotting meat become a thing? :bolt:
Save

Black nylons and bourbon.
So what did you cook??????

lol Thanks Adams!

I got distracted by your post...
Then I got distracted by the pix....
The stocking comment didn't help me refocus.

The burning questions I have are:

How much of the outer layer do you trim off?
How long do you cook that steak?

I'm been thinking about buying some from Whole Foods (until I learn how to do this), but I don't want to ruin a work of art.

Thank you John! I trim most of the brown off. Last time I trimmed the whole slab before cutting the meat into steaks, it was kind of a guessing game. This time it was easier to see how much needed to be removed from each steak without cutting into the good meat.
I cut these about 1 1/2"... seared for 5 minutes on each side. I like medium rare, these could have been cooked less but I was happy with the flavor. Thanks again Friend! :grin:

I will admit that I never "got" the whole dry aged thing. The cooked finished does look good, but the "before" picture just looks gross. When did deliberately rotting meat become a thing? :bolt:
Save

Butchers have been hanging sides of beef to tenderize the meat for as long as I know. lol I hang deer for at least a week before processing. This dry age process takes it one step farther.
You can dry age primal cuts for one week... up to how ever long you like. So far 45 days is my favorite. The meat is so tender and rich in flavor. It's a great way to make a lesser cut taste fantastic.
People won't "get it" until they give it a try. :thumb::grin:

Save

If you are still in Melrose, plan a special trip to Grill 23. It's a steak house. It's expensive.

Get the 100 day dry aged ribeye. It's $54 and if it isn't the best steak you've ever had, I'll buy it for you.

It's so good I no longer order steak at other restaurants.

Back