THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
jeanie
I was actually aiming for 45 days but "life" got in the way. :grin:

Last time I aged KC strips for 30 days..
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224639&highlight=dry+aged

Last ribeyes were aged for 45 days...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225409&highlight=dry+aged

Found this at the local store. It wasn't a high quality slab , (select), but I figured the dry aging process would only improve the meat. (it did)

03e1648b-7987-4787-8f9f-85bbde656e9c_zps4e2sqpg0.jpg

pulled%20pork%20and%20005_zpsjpvfrhgi.jpg

Went with the same Umai bags I used last time...

pulled%20pork%20and%20006_zpstzogyszn.jpg

pulled%20pork%20and%20007_zpslvkgedxv.jpg

pulled%20pork%20and%20008_zpsndipjb41.jpg

pulled%20pork%20and%20009_zpsal4kaqik.jpg

bagged...

pulled%20pork%20and%20013_zps2gvnekpc.jpg

A trick I read about elsewhere and tried last time. Slip a stocking over the bagged slab of meat for the first week to help the umai bag adhere. It works great. I used a black silk stocking... had it on hand. Don't ask! :oops: :p

My fridge has glass shelves so I place the meat rack on 4 foil balls to raise the rack off of the shelf for better air circulation.

pulled%20pork%20and%20015_zpsjiejchll.jpg

50 days
The meat has a nice waxy coating...

50%20day%20dry%20aged%20kc%20steaks%20004res_zpsxje1raxm.jpg

50%20day%20dry%20aged%20kc%20steaks%20007res_zpsqdxxxrpc.jpg

Instead of cutting the outer layer off of the meat while the slab was whole, I cut the meat into individual steaks, then trimmed them. I think it saved a little bit of time.

50%20day%20dry%20aged%20kc%20steaks%20022res_zpsxn1u4trg.jpg

I had to try one, I was starving!!!

Just seasoned with cracked black pepper and coarse salt, then slapped it into a hot iron skillet with some onions.

50%20day%20dry%20aged%20kc%20strip%20004res_zpsa8ggy1kp.jpg

50%20day%20dry%20aged%20kc%20strip%20020res_zpsry05j0kj.jpg

I couldn't decide on a side dish and really didn't feel like making one...
so my side was a one finger glass of Crown Royal.
Can't go wrong with meat and whiskey. :grin:

50%20day%20dry%20aged%20kc%20strip%20034res2res_zpsd4i0eeos.jpg

50%20day%20dry%20aged%20kc%20steak%20016res_zpsskeka2s9.jpg

1e47de46-a4c7-428b-9712-75df3e54d855_zpsh5a17nrl.jpg

It turned out great. My favorite steak is ribeye but the price on this was so low, I had to give it a try. The aging process made the meat nice and tender and I loved the beefy flavor.
Will be doing these again.

Thanks for looking!

Looks heavenly Neighbor! Way to elevate the meat quality and steak/onion combo is all you need with whisky to chase down after. :thumb:

Great tip about the stocking. I have had issues getting the umai bags to hold a vacume. This would solve the issue. Thank. I assume you freeze the remaining steaks. I vacume seal them without trimming the outer dark crust from the dry aging. When I thaw them in the vacume bag, the crust softens and does not need to be trimmed. If it is still tough, easy enough to trim then.

Last edited:
Looks heavenly Neighbor! Way to elevate the meat quality and steak/onion combo is all you need with whisky to chase down after. :thumb:
Thank you Neighbor, these turned out really nice.
Can't thank you enough for introducing me to dry aging like this. It's hard to go back to regular ole steak. :grin:

Awesome....

Thank you!! :-D

Great tip about the stocking. I have had issues getting the umai bags to hold a vacume. This would solve the issue. Thank. I assume you freeze the remaining steaks. I vacume seal them without trimming the outer dark crust from the dry aging. When I thaw them in the vacume bag, the crust softens and does not need to be trimmed. If it is still tough, easy enough to trim then.

Thanks!! Yes, I seal and freeze them.
My vacuum sealer isn't the best and sometimes it doesn't get as much air out as I would like. The stocking helps.
I like your idea of trimming after freezing, will give that a try next time. Thank you!

Looks great. I would never have the patients to wait it out. I have trouble waiting for something to sit in a brine. Well done.

I have got to try this Need to get rid of my vertical Vacuum Sealer for the horizontal type
Thank you George! You really need to give these bags a try sometime. :grin:

Looks amazing Jeanie!

Thanks Jeremy! :grin:

Looks great. I would never have the patients to wait it out. I have trouble waiting for something to sit in a brine. Well done.
Ron, the worse part is the room this takes up in my house fridge. I shoulda moved it out of the way to one of the beer fridges. Thanks Friend! :grin:

Sister there is not much that I can say that hasn't already been said above. Simply another phenomenal post from one of my very favorite forum members. Keep on cooking sister:thumb:

Sister there is not much that I can say that hasn't already been said above. Simply another phenomenal post from one of my very favorite forum members. Keep on cooking sister:thumb:

Thank you Sir!! :hug::-D

• Thanks
Reactions: SGH
This is yet another reason why I find that I'll need a cheap second fridge.

You'd pay a pretty penny for an aged hunk of meat like that in a restaurant...

That looks fantastic, Jeanie.

Dang, that looks amazing! :shocked: I gotta try dry aging sometime. Nice adult beverage pairing too! :thumb:

Those look fantastic Jeanie! You and Sako got me started on the Umai bags, and I'm sure glad you did! I'll be putting a 4-bone Hereford prime rib into a bag tonight, for Christmas! Looks like I'd better get some Crown, too!

Back