97% perfect Brisket...

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
To me, barbecue has turned into a science. It's much more than just pleasing the palate. I'm obsessed with appearance texture taste and what it took to bring me to that level. For all you brisket lovers out there that are on the same page with me what are your techniques to get the perfect excuse me almost perfect brisket?

Here is my techniques and please provide your own.

Prime brisket from Costco between 12 and 16 lb

Do not rinse the meat pat dry any fluids and blood

Trim excess fat and silver skin try to expose some of the burnt ends on the fat cap but don't go to extreme as a backyard cooker.

Hot & fast. I don't like doing low and slow. However, my best brisket I started out low and slow and I finished off. I started my cook at 250 degrees for 6 hours until I got internal temperature of 170 degrees, and then finish the cook off at 300° in the oven.
My last cook I done hot and fast around 375° and finish the cook off at 275 degrees rapt in butcher paper when internal temperature reached 170°. I finished the cook off at 210 degrees. big mistake, the point was absolutely perfect and beautiful but a lot of the flat was somewhat borderline dry I could have done a hell of a lot better job.

Butcher paper is King don't know why anybody uses aluminum foil at all. I use B&B oak briquettes. To me, lump charcoal in the WSM 22 is inconsistent and not reliable.

I injected and applied DIY SPG rub along with KOSMOS cow cover rub and Kosmos Reserve hickory smoke injection the night before cook.

My cooker is a WSM 22.

Let's hear your absolute best techniques for making the ultimate brisket.

I don't think I would be so arrogant as to label my post as %99.7 perfect to any cook.... I may like mine a certain way and someone thinks it's terrible... KBS sauce VS N. Carolina sauce... who is right? Depends on your taste......If you want to look at previous post posts of some of the best briskest on earth just look at past brethren posts.....

I've tried a number of different ways to cook a brisket. Tried the BluDawg method, butcher paper, foil, pan w/foil, wrapped dry and with liquid. I've cooked low the entire time, hot and fast, slow and fast. I've made some good briskets all different ways. Its more about knowing your cooker and knowing the feeling when its done.

Recently I tried the foil boat method from Chud's bbq videos and it was one of the best I've made in a long time. The flat was fantastic.

Started at 200, then let it creep up to 250 ish for the first 4 hours, then up to 275-300, at 175 internal I put the brisket in the boat lol. Pulled it as soon as it probed tender and let it rest for 2 hours. I'll be using this method a couple more times to see if it was just a fluke or a great brisket.

All the above being said, buy prime brisket or at least the best one you can find. Some people might like choice or even select but its not for me.

There are always variables to each cook, and each cook is subject to the conditions at the time. Wind,rain, humidity, outside temps, cut of protein,prep of protein, variations in the heat source, ambient temp of smoker versus temp of smoker, seasonings applied, too much, or, lack of attention to the cook, injected or not, wrapped or not, and with what, length of "rest time"; etc. etc. etc..........
I keep a "log book" to help me "remember" those conditions so I can adjust during the cook; but even that is not fool proof (variables). I have had the worst conditions produce the best cooks and the opposite.
I have come to the conclusion that we do the best we can and hope for that perfect cook, understanding that our personal desires for the final product may not be achieved. Then, on the next cook and try again.
It is too easy to not have that absolute perfect cook every time, but, thats what keeps us going again, and again, and again. So, because we Love the Art of The Que, that is what we do!

Disclaimer- i am in cincinnati and we aren't exactly known for bbq around here and if you find a good one it's pork. Our locally ranked #1 q joint doesn't even have brisket on the menu, #2 is a semi national chain, and don't get me started on #3. If any of you have ever eaten at montgomery inn you know why.

i have only made one brisket in my life and that was this past sunday. I may have outdone myself as i may never reach the results i achieved again. Everyone that tried it said it was the best brisket they have ever had.(see disclaimer)

I over trimmed it. took a 16 #'er down to 8#'s pre-cook weight.(second disclaimer, i am having treatments on my elbow so i actually walked my GF, who isn't exactly skilled with a knife, through something i have never done while watching a video on how to do it.)

S&P only, lightly covered(went with the a little goes a along way theory) put in fridge over night.

Fired up the smoker in the morning(MB 1050) set to 275°. Used kroger briq's which appear to be R.O. Ridge. Got up to temp, knocked some coals into the ash can, threw in some strips of cherry and chunks of apple. I did not put any wood in the hopper for this cook. Just kept adding to ash can. Dropped the temp to 250°. Kept smoke going for about 5 or so hours of the cook.(little goes a long way theory again) Had to make a run to lowe's. Was gone longer than i wanted, it hit the stall, thankfully it didn't punch through it while i was gone.

When it hit 175°,about 7 hours, wrapped it in foil. Since I have never done this before, i was concerned about being done too soon for the timed gathering and i actually dropped the temp to 235°, while i researched length of time it can rest in a cooler only to find out my concern was without merit. Pulled it at 205° and the majority of it felt what i believe was properly tender and ready. Felt it better to not overcook some of it than to try and get all of it to meet the tenderness test. Threw it in a cooler for about 2.5 hr's. Finished cooking weight of 5#'s. :laugh:

Pulled it out, still hot to touch. Sliced it up, pull test was good. ate the first piece and about had an instant orgasm.

Shared a much needed great meal with friends.(the atmosphere may have been a YUGE boost to the flavor and the rave reviews.)

When we sliced it i stashed what was left of the point from the trimming debacle aside. Reheated it last night. Took the first bite and this time I am pretty sure i had an orgasm, or it could have been a seizure. I just know i found myself on the floor shaking.:twitch::faint2: HOLY F*$&STICKS BRISKET POINT. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?! :hail:

I don't know if this is replicable.

I don’t like very greasy, fatty meat, in fact my whole family feels like this. So at our house, a perfect brisket would be the flat, cooked low and slow. I have a WSM 18, but have a LGS offset on order. I think it should be ready in the next few weeks. Hoping so anyway.

I agree with some of the sentiment above. It is a science, but it’s also art. A little of both. The fire management is science. That’s half the battle. And then each person is going to have a different opinion about what is good, 97% perfect, brisket.

This is a good thread, I’d also be interested in what other people think.

Back