THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QProjectKC

Knows what WELOCME spells.
Name or Nickame
J
I seen a few pictures of offset smokers with 90 degree elbow 4 inch ducting added to the bottom of the exhaust smokestacks aiming down towards the grates. I am working on a new OKJ Longhorn and there is an obvious issue with temp from FB side to the exhaust of 50 degrees F.

Wondering if anyone else added this to pull the smoke from lower in the cook chamber? My guess is it would amplify both smoke and heat to some extent?

Thanks!
J

I'm adding one tomorrow to check out either way. been having issues with keeping temps up. Lids are leaking but waiting on insulation, grate set up and a few other things. Gotta make due.

My very first Boston Pork Butt turned out amazing. Got a lot of happy tasters while the ribs I did initially last week following my restore thread didn't go long enough. The grate temp turned out to be much lower than the tstat.

Wireless Inkbird inbound! Going to do a diffuser too.

havent heard that mod mentioned in quite some time. personally, having cooked on that pit, I dont like it. I was all about getting the most airflow through the cook chamber.

that's just my opinion. if you try it let us know what you think

If this is what you are talking about, I did that mod on my OK Highland before the first smoke. I also put in stainless baffles (3 pieces of stainless that I can stagger as I need to direct heat and smoke to where I want it. I think a temp. gauge, grate level is essential. I have the Inkbird 4 probe and have one of them at grate level at all cooks. The mod does take up some cooking space though.

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 47
Back