THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back9Q

is one Smokin' Farker
I usually compete FBA and you must put 8 pieces in box. I have done cupcake style many times and its pretty easy to get 3x3 in but wanted to start doing more rectangle shape. I saw a few boxes that shingled them toward front but wouldnt that take away appearance because judge cant see all thighs? What do you all do whe. 8 pieces are needed

Depending on how you trim the thighs, you can usually lay out 9 in a 3x3 grid as long as you have a good base. Whenever we've done it we always end up shingling. I can't recall if we got dinged on appearance, but I know we had at least 1 first place in chicken doing it that way.

I would think doing cupcake thighs would take away way more appearance than shingled, rectangular thighs.

Do you still cook them upside down like cupcake style? I am assuming if you dont you have to toothpick the skin to keep in place during cook. In order to get 9 in I would imagine you have to have a crazy thick base and remove almost half the bone.

Back