THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks for clearing that up for me, it explained a lot.
Dave

As I mentioned in a previous post, I always try to get a single slab in the box...
Under the old rule (separate and identifiable) I was DQ'd once. I had the slab looking whole, and was told that because they could not identify all 6 separate pieces, I got a DQ in appearance. It becomes iffy based on the table/rep... right? If you see 6 bones, is it identifiable? or do you have to see 6 cuts, etc.

This tweak of the rule, makes it easier for the judges/reps to be consistent, and makes it consistent with the other meats.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I always try to get a single slab in the box...
Under the old rule (separate and identifiable) I was DQ'd once. I had the slab looking whole, and was told that because they could not identify all 6 separate pieces, I got a DQ in appearance. It becomes iffy based on the table/rep... right? If you see 6 bones, is it identifiable? or do you have to see 6 cuts, etc.

This tweak of the rule, makes it easier for the judges/reps to be consistent, and makes it consistent with the other meats.

Well I totally agree with the rule change if this has been happening. As a CBJ and comp cook I have never given this a thought as a problem area in appearance, guess that is when comment cards would have been nice. I have never heard it mentioned in the class or at cooks or judge meetings that they must appear as at least 6 separate sections or be scored down. Only scored down later if they are not individual pieces in the box. In fact I have always shrived to make it appear as one slab taken from the same section, dang just realized that must be why I have never made Grand Champion, who knew. :roll:
Dave

Under the old rule (separate and identifiable) I was DQ'd once. I had the slab looking whole, and was told that because they could not identify all 6 separate pieces, I got a DQ in appearance.

That has been one of my major gripes durring the past. I'm very glad that this was changed. Now about that "parting" thing ...........

I like to use 6 in a row from the same rack. I think it looks nicer. This was 3rd at teh Royal

Attachments

• Royal 2009 ribs.jpg
    Royal 2009 ribs.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 43
Back