THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mkenney

Hello All!

We recently got one of the MABA bbq injectors, the 5ml sized one. Its been a great improvement over our significantly more expensive injector. While injecting some pork butts this weekend something has gotten jammed in it, thinking some onion powder. Any suggestions how to clear it out?

Hello All!

We recently got one of the MABA bbq injectors, the 5ml sized one. Its been a great improvement over our significantly more expensive injector. While injecting some pork butts this weekend something has gotten jammed in it, thinking some onion powder. Any suggestions how to clear it out?
Read the instructions that come with the injector:
You cannot run particulate through that injector
again

If your solution has a lot of non-soluble elements like onion powder or ground pepper the valves will clog.

Best thing to do is strain your injection through a fine skimmer strainer or a tea strainer.

Now, that being said:

1. Take some warm to hot water and immerse the whole injector and the tube in it and sit there and squeeze pump it; it might take as long as 3-4 minutes but the injector should clear.
  2. If that doesn't work unscrew the tube and pop the hose off. boil a pot of water with a strainer or grate (a pasta or shrimp pot works good for this) and drop the injector handle and the tube in it; you want to make sure that the injector or tube doesn't sit on the bottom of the pot or it might distort. Boil it for 10 minutes or so, let it cool and repeat step 1.

Read the instructions that come with the injector:
again

LOL, yeah I read that but had one of my brain farts. No point in being stupid if you can't show it. I'll give the fix a try, ordered another just in case and on sale to boot;-) Was thinking about adding a 20ml one to our supply chest, does it handle the particulates like this fine or just better? Had to go back to the other injector for the night and definitely missed the new one.

Thanks for the info and suggestions to clear it out!!!

Mark

LOL, yeah I read that but had one of my brain farts. No point in being stupid if you can't show it. I'll give the fix a try, ordered another just in case and on sale to boot;-) Was thinking about adding a 20ml one to our supply chest, does it handle the particulates like this fine or just better? Had to go back to the other injector for the night and definitely missed the new one.

Thanks for the info and suggestions to clear it out!!!

Mark

The 20 has larger valves and the valves in the 20 are removable so you can clean them. It won't do flakes but it will tolerate a little particulate.

Now, that being said:
  1. Take some warm to hot water and immerse the whole injector and the tube in it and sit there and squeeze pump it; it might take as long as 3-4 minutes but the injector should clear.
  2. If that doesn't work unscrew the tube and pop the hose off. boil a pot of water with a strainer or grate (a pasta or shrimp pot works good for this) and drop the injector handle and the tube in it; you want to make sure that the injector or tube doesn't sit on the bottom of the pot or it might distort. Boil it for 10 minutes or so, let it cool and repeat step 1.

Boiling water did the trick, definitely was some Onion powder in the mix, could smell it. Back up and running! Thanks for the time, help and tips!!!

I had a similar problem with the same unit. After many attempts to clear the clog, I put the needle and the tube in cups of water and pumped away (I don't want to hear it!!!). It cleared the clog in no time.

wallace(Don)

Back