THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks for all your feedback and comments everyone. It was a big job and although it didn't all go as planned, it was still quite a success. My wife sandy, and I learned a lot from this experience, and we also had some fun. The Dpp 60 is quite the cooker and as time goes by I'm starting to get a feel for it. Still have a couple of issues that need to be conquered, but I'm doing ok. One of the main problems with cooking on the Dpp 60, is that for years I tried doing things by myself without any real outside advice, so I never really progressed while using the chargriller. I did learn enough to turn out some good Que, some good flavors, and ideas. But, everything was more or less done as a "hot smoke", or indirect grilling with the addition of smoke. Now with the Dpp60, at a nice low and slow pace, it's a challenge to try to reproduce the same , or better the results. Especially when it comes to ribs. Not to say that it can't be accomplished. I just need to find the right combination of techniques. A lot of people commented on how good they were, but to me they just didnt have the flavor that I wanted. One thing I genuinely believe that added to that, was that the ribs were of such a high quallity, while they were foiled and cooking, the juices were such that they washed away my standard method of seasoning. On the same train of thought for the briskets, it seems to me that the bark developed during my hot smokes on the chargriller seemed to hold up to the mop sauces (which did tend to add quite a unique flavor) a lot better. Now if I use a mop, it's not until way into the smoke, or when I foil. Tends to destroy the bark. Any way I'm having fun trying to get the flavors I want, and definately exploring new things...

Just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to everyone on the Brethrn forum for their advice on things that I need to ask.

firecrackerjack

Not to say that it can't be accomplished. I just need to find the right combination of techniques. A lot of people commented on how good they were, but to me they just didnt have the flavor that I wanted. One thing I genuinely believe that added to that, was that the ribs were of such a high quallity, while they were foiled and cooking, the juices were such that they washed away my standard method of seasoning.

That is the curse of perfection!

My family, friends, and coworkers always give me positive comments on my ribs, but I think they are just "ok" and that I either needed more / less of that ingredient.

Nice gig FireCracker, you will never stop learning doing gigs, lol!
I never foil BBs, I find there is no need for that extra step. YMMV:biggrin:

Back