4th attempt or so at faux Texas hot links

Free Mr. Tony

is Blowin Smoke!
I've tried a few recipes for Texas style links. I've never actually been to Texas, and am just looking for something that I (from Indiana) would interpret as a Texas style link. Not necessarily a true Texas hot link. I've liked the others I've tried, but one was a little too firm in texture. Another was a bit on the fatty/greasy side. Based on the test fry this one seems promising.

Cubed up a couple Chuck steaks, a flat iron steak, and bit of skirt I had in the freezer.

Course ground after a brief freeze. Added a slurry of water, mustard, salt, cayenne, paprika, pepper, sugar, mustard powder, coriander, and New Mexico chili powder. Mixed in the slurry,and course ground again. Put in the stuffer, and chilled.

Stuffed, and linked.

Hung in fridge until tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will smoke on the Lang if the weather cooperates. If not, I will hang them in the (gasp) pellet cooker. I've actually really liked what my pellet has done to sausage in the past. I will post some pics of the finished product tomorrow.

Nice, Tony!

Nothin' wrong with using the tools at your disposal...

Looking forward to seeing tomorrow's results.

I agree with MisterChrister, Tony.
It doesn't matter if that's an authentic recipe or not, your ingredients tell me they would be some good eats.

Great post, great cook.

Awesome!

Looks like a great job on them. I have trouble with them shrinking when I've made them.

Back