THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the info. i work with Jimmy Weaver. one of the the tams you are referring to as being fabricated was fabricated by Jim Ferguson. Don't get mad at me, take it up with him. don't get mad at me because of what did or didn't happen at last year's jim dandy comp. i was merely a second time competitor. after all this, i'm not sure i want to compete anymore at all. it's just not worth it.

you guys have gotten your way, you've driven a comp out of existence.

MODS, DELETE THIS THREAD.

Last edited:
The contest drove itself out of existence. Teams vote with their feet and spoke loudly on this one. We were just trying to give you a heads up that there were problems with this contest getting off the ground this year.

Fabricating teams to achieve qualifying status - legal or illegal?

Personally, I'd like to see this thread stay up. I think it raises a fundamental question that goes to the heart of the integrity of the sport and the qualifier status of BBQ competitions. Mods if you do decided to delete this thread, please at least spin this off into a new thread beginning with this post. I'd love to hear other Brethren's opinion on this issue.

Question #1 - Is it legal to fabricate teams at KCBS contests to achieve the minimum number of 25 teams in order to achieve qualifying status.

Question #2 - (Ethical Dilemma) - If you won the contest and received an invite to Jack Daniel's based on a contest reaching the minimum level of teams to make it a qualifier by the fabricating of teams would you accept the invitation or not? Would you report the incident to KCBS?

I think the answer to #1 is it depends on the circumstances. If members of existing teams at the contest are spun off to make another team to make it a qualifier than they should have to abide by the same rules as other teams. They should have to 1. pay the entry fee, 2. provide their own meats, rubs, sauces, and equipment. To not pay the entry fee and contribute to the contest pool only cheats other teams in the contest especially if the team takes money out of the prize pool without putting money in. I believe any deviation from this exception is not within KCBS rules. What say you?

In regards to Question #2 thats only a question one can answer if they find themselves in that spot. It's very easy to answer hypothetically as to what we would do but another to remove ourselves from consideration. People are human and flawed. I like to think I'd do the right thing and withdraw my name from consideration. I'd hate to make the Jack knowing that the contest I won was flawed or deprive the winner of a qualifying contest the right to go to the Jack. What say you?

ummmm, i used the word "fabricate" because that is what you said, Dallas. I have no information anything was done illegally or that entrance fees were not paid. Obviously, you have some beef with the whole process at last year's Jim Dandy comp. Now I'm probbably in trouble with Jim and i'm posting from work so i'll probably get fired.

great.

HOW THE FARK DO I GET THIS THREAD DELETED?!

For the record, I was set up next to Jim, he stayed as clear as he could of the so called "fabricated team" so that no inpropriety was preceived. There were several teams that got together to help get this team in the game, including the GC, it was mutually benefital to everyone there. And just for the record, this fabricated team only had a minimal amount of help and took 3rd place.

I agree, Sharonville had its problems, got my first top 5 there and no check, not the end of the world but does put a bad taste in the mouth.

hey JayAre! did you post that from work? you are fired too! :biggrin:

hey DD, you really need to take your legal post to a new thread. no one is seeing it and responding to it here. and put up a poll so people can vote.

sorry to offend you but anyone that puts on a bbq competition is promoting their business whether you like it or not. it has nothing to do with being a non-profit or for charity or being affiliated with the military. i've worked for the air force since 1982 so don't try and pull that card.

"The contest drove itself out of existence. Teams vote with their feet and spoke loudly on this one. We were just trying to give you a heads up that there were problems with this contest getting off the ground this year."

let me see... how could a contest drive itself out of existence. that's a tough one.

here is what i said:
"you guys have gotten your way, you've driven a comp out of existence."
and yet you continue to argue the issue and say this:
"The contest drove itself out of existence. Teams vote with their feet and spoke loudly on this one. We were just trying to give you a heads up that there were problems with this contest getting off the ground this year."

i maintain that you guys have gotten your way, you've driven a comp out of existence. you said the exact same thing, but feel compelled to argue with me about it for some reason. the reason you continue to argue and raise this new legal issue, as far as i can tell, is you do not believe shigs-in-pit should be shown as a state champion in ohio for 2008. my recommendation is to take this up with KCBS.

this is my 2 cents and IMHO as a newbie to the competition world. i'll also add that all this carp and all the other issues i read about here make me not want to compete in another comp. three and out.

and mods, delete this thread. please. i beg you.

Well I do have to agree with Dallas that the cookoff was done in by the promoter. I know Jim and I will be the first to say I got shafted last year. Now just so we are are on the same page I myself shafted myself at kettering this year. So I do put the blame where it should go.. Last year emails before the sharonville comp and after went unanswered. Kettering is Kettering because of the time and energy that the Jims both put into it. I took the judges class at kettering with Jim Emig and it seemed he could not grasp the idea of how to judge by his questions and remarks. This carried over to how he ran the sharonville cookoff. There are teams that travel a good distance, Pay alot of money (in these hard times) and you would hope all play fair. Last year at sharonville I saw enough to know I would never go back. I almost gave up on comps all together there. There were judges going around Sat morning talking to teams and drinking beer. When Jim was questioned on paying out only top 3 is was like if he didnt know the KCBS rules. I always thought Jim was a good guy to until the cookoff. I left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back