THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xj, just my humble opionion (JMHO) 3/2/1 will produce ribs you can eat with a spoon. If you like fall off the bone ribs then that will produce way over cooked ribs. Wifey just said get off the puter and get to bed. See ya later.

The 3-2-1 method seems to be VERY tiemp dependent.

When I tried it at the mid 200's--got rib soup. :oops:

I would guess 3-2-1 is about right down in the very low 200's, at least for me.

I actually foil them based on color and "pull back" and stop the foil based on "bendabliity".
That works out to about 2.0--.75/1.0--.5 for both BBs and Trimed Spares cooking in the upper 200's now.

I watch them "like a hawk" to hit the right tenderness and the time is all over the place beween the various slabs on the same cooker at the same time.

Just play with it and find what time and temp (and foil or no foil) works for you.

Eating the test slabs is half the fun :lol:

Good Eats.

TIM

I'm a little more of purist, so I don't use foil. :eek: I cook my ribs at 250 and use the meat pull back from the bone and the bend test as to when to pull them off. :lol:

I trim my spares St. Louis style. 3-2-1 has worked very well for me. And I also use racks - especailly if I'm configuring Fudo (Weber Performer) to smoke.

If there is anything about my spares that is consistent, it is that they are not disintegrating at the end. While they stick to the bone, they offer very little resistance when pulled. I haven't made "rib soup" yet.

YMMV. Try the 3-2-1 as a basic guideline and take it from there in future cooks.

Buena suerte, bro!

I'm a little more of purist, so I don't use foil. :eek: I cook my ribs at 250 and use the meat pull back from the bone and the bend test as to when to pull them off. :lol:

+1

I do this at 225, and I have used a rack and also just put them on the grate, depending on how crowded things are. Baby backs are just awesome this way. But ya do have to keep an eye on them. When it goes haywire, it happens pretty fast. I have burned a few by paying too much attention to my beers. :icon_bugeyed

Im gonn do a pratice cook with Spares this weekend...Think I'm gonna try 3-1.5-.5 or until done...The St Louis spares I do have never gone the full 6 hours, but Then again I usually cook around 235-250.....I'll do a detailed log of my cook coming up this weeked and post the log with the pictures...

Fellas, as a newbie, I still am not following.

I followed the Dr's formula in the egg booklet this weekend for kicks. It turned out great, but I am unsure why I did the apple juice bath in foil for an hour. The pot liquor that I poured off the ribs seemed sinful.

I just followed it to a T w/o any questions.

So where does the wrap jobs w/ liquid come into play? :-?

Any hints on how to keep them from "charcoaling" on the edges? I smoked for 2 hours and then spritzed with apple juice and wrapped in aluminum foil for 2 hours at 250. The edges of my ribs were burnt, but the middle was perfect. Any hints on how I can get a whole good looking rib is much appreciated. Thanks.

3-2-1 Rib smoking
[FONT=&quot]With the 3-2-1 method of smoking ribs, start out by preparing the ribs as normal. I remove the membrane, dust with a rub then placing them onto the smoker grate for about 3 hours. If you don't have a good rub recipe, search the web or ask a friend (wink, wink... lots of friends on the Brethren).

This first stage is the "3". It is complete when the meat starts pulling back from the bone about a quarter inch. This normally requires about 3 hours or so if you are able to maintain 225 degrees in your smoker. Check for the temperature with your thermometer.

Next is the 2nd stage. This is the "2" in the formula and leads to the tenderest ribs you can imagine. For this stage, remove the ribs from the smoker and wrap them in heavy duty foil, splash on some apple juice, then, close up the foil. Place the ribs back in the smoker wrapped in the foil and let them cook for 2 hours. Try to make sure you are using heat and not smoke at this point. Smoke while the ribs are wrapped in foil can lead to a bitter taste if the smoke is trapped in the foil.

At the end of about 2 hours, remove the ribs from the foil and place them back on the smoker grate unwrapped to firm them up a bit before serving. This is the “1” in the process. Watch the ribs closely at this point. Remove them when they reach 172 degrees between the bone. This should take about 45 minutes to an hour.

Let the ribs ‘rest’ about 15 minutes before slicing. This will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Should be smokin’ good !

Note: the 3-2-1 method is typically used with spare ribs. I haven't tried it with anything else.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
3-2-1 would be, as I understand it, 3 hours of ribs on smoke, then 2 hours wrapped
in aluminum foil, the 1 hour back on smoke.

I prefer 1.5, 4, .5 myself. However, I'm using babybacks that can get over-smoked
in a hurry.

On the drum I do 3 hours in @ 225, then spritz with apple juice and foil, back on drum for 2 more hours, then 1 hour in the cooler, remove and onto the grill for 5 min each side and then sauce.

Back