THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whitelightnin92

Knows what a fatty is.
Time for some birthday dinner Pr0n. My wife turns 30 tomorrow so I decided to throw a party and cook up some amazing grub.

Thanks to Steph @Simply Marvelous I was fully stocked and prepared.
2012-05-23121617.jpg

For the main course I had 6 racks of St. Louis cut pork ribs. I rubbed half of them with Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple Rub, and they other half with Yard Birds.
2012-05-25131642_1.jpg

Next was ABT's. The filling was 16 oz cream cheese, 16 oz sour cream and about a 1lb of cheddar cheese. Wrapped them in bacon and sprinkled them with Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction.
2012-05-25131713.jpg

2012-05-25164642.jpg

I made 3 fatties. 1st one was cheddar cheese and Blues Hog BBQ sauce. 2nd was Cheddar Cheese, Pulled pork and Blues Hog BBQ Sauce. 3rd on was just pulled pork (No cheese since my daughter is allergic :tsk:)
2012-05-25164650_1.jpg

There wasn't quite enough room on my UDS for all the food, so I borrowed my buddies very neglected and mistreated 22in OTS. The thing had about 3 years of hardened Match Strike Charcoal in the bottom and the vents were all plugged up. The lid was so far out of round that it couldn't even sit straight on the grill. After 30 mins of TLC, the kettle was cleaned and the lid round again. I've never smoked on a kettle before and I wasn't sure how to do it. I ended up bending a metal hanger and wrapping it in foil to create a heat shield. Crude but effective. I had troubles getting the temps to drop below 300 so I ended up doing the fatties and most of the ABT's on it.
2012-05-25125505.jpg

I seasoned the ribs the night before and then again right before I through them on. I was able to find ribs that were natural without any enhancements. They were a little pricey from the butcher but so worth it. I did a 2-2-.5 cook. Two hours smoking with apple wood, 2 hours foiled with some apple juice, raw sugar, honey and squeezable butter. They 30 mins out of the foil glazed with Blues Hog BBQ sauce. This was my first serious attempt at ribs and I am happy to say I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. They came out amazing. Not falling off the bone, I got the perfect bite where my teeth marks were left. The Spicy Apple rubs was great. Blues Hog added nicely. I loved the ribs.
2012-05-25183212.jpg

2012-05-25184140.jpg

2012-05-25185506.jpg

Fatties were also a big hit. The pulled pork inside a fatty was awesome.
2012-05-25183203.jpg

2012-05-25190213.jpg

ABT's were a bigger hit than I thought. Even those who didn't like spicy enjoyed them. Soon after I took this pic, they all disappeared.
2012-05-25190205.jpg

I overshot my estimate for food a little bit. If you look in my ribs bite shot you can also see some hot dogs. I found some 100% steak hot dogs that are amazing. Beefy with a little spice. My new favorite hot dog. I made banana pudding and had everyone bring a side to share. I also made two batches of home made ice cream. First batch was fresh peach and the second batch was Raspberry Cheesecake. No pics here because I was busy getting ice cream for the kids. I put up a big blow up slide and the kids were entertained for hours. It was a huge success. Thanks to all the brethren, I got all my info and ideas from you. I had tons of leftovers and everyone was more than happy to take home a plate of leftover ribs and fatty. I've already talked with two people who ate theirs for lunch a said they were just as good reheated. A ton of fun, but also a lot of work. It is worth it all to see a happy birthday girl and hearing all the compliments on how wonderful the food was. Now it's time to sit back and enjoy the rest of a lazy weekend.

Fantastic pron. Glad the B'day girl enjoyed it all. Sounds like everyone had a great day. Now relax and enjoy the rest of the weekend with some of those leftovers.

Great looking cook! Sounds like a great time was had by all. Happy Birthday to the Wife!
Thanks for all the great pron! :clap:

Back