THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I may have passed by it in the comments, but if I'm not mistaken, the 3-2-1 method was "developed" for full spare ribs, not St Louis cut or baby backs, and a cook temp of 220-225 as mentioned.
KC
When I first started wrapping ribs I used to do full spares. Problem was the ribs got way overdone to get the tips to cook all the way. Today if I cook full spares I trim down to St' Louis and start the tips an hour prior to the St' Louis cut. I usually cook around 225-240, I'm in no hurry. :grin: I go back and forth on wrapping, just depends on the mood. I think the thing we can't say enough is that 3-2-1 is just a guideline, ribs are done when they are done. If I wrap, I wait for color first, then wrap. Once wrapped, the bend test is my indicator. After that it's just a matter of setting the glaze and they're ready to eat.

One reason I wrap ribs is because I cook / smoke with wood and if I don't wrap the meat sometimes gets too much smoke and is bitter or too smokey. If I wrap for an hour or so they are great. If you are cooking with charcoal you wouldn't have that problem.

Back