3-2-1 Ribs and General Questions

Ronno6

Name or Nickame
Ron
After smoking a couple batches of chicken quarters and a pork butt,
I gave the 3-2-1 method a go on 3 racks of baby backs.
They turned out just fine, but didn't quite fall off the bone as advertised.

And, the brazing segment removed all the rub from the meat side of the racks. I will research other recipes for future endeavors...

I need some guidance.
Is the cooking times specified in the method different if you are smoking more than 1 rack of ribs?
When does the clock start on the stage times?? When you close the door, or when the smoker regain the specified temp?
Opening the door to remove ribs for wrapping/unwrapping etc. causes a temp drop, and after stage 1 going to stage 2 specifies a temp adjustment from 200° to 225°. Start the time when temp hits 225° ??

The quantity of racks of ribs cooked generates questions on other meats.

For instance, I have seen that the cooking time for a brisket is gonna be about 1-1/2hr per pound. So, if I have a 10# brisket cut into 2 sections, say each weighing 5#, would smoking the thicker end take 7-1/2 hr? And the thinner end the same?? If multiple pieces don't change the smoking time, would 2 5# pieces take the same time a 1ea 5# roast? Of course, using multiple temp probes would tell that tale.....

BTW...I installed a Lavalock ATC-1 on the Bandera. EZ to install and did a superb job of temp control! https://bbqsmokermods.com/lavalock-...e-speed-fan-for-sm-med-large-smoker-pits.html

I'll start with check your thermometer. At 225 the baby backs should have been way overcooked. 3-2 1 is for full spares. If all the rub came off then the bark wasn't "set" before wrapping in foil. That's another thing that leads me to believe your therm is reading wrong.

Brisket will not cook in half the time if you cut it in half.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Since we are both Ron's, I am going to attempt to answer some of your questions. As for the 3-2-1 method, those times are just a guide. Experience and your cook temp will tell you when they are done. I have overcooked many racks using that method, I usually gauge it by the meat pull back from the bone and often a toothpick poked between the bones. Some do the bend test, but it will vary from one rack to another as to total time to being done.
As for the brisket, thickness does matter in how long it will take to get to the finished temp because the thicker piece will take longer for the middle to get up to temp than the thinner one. Again, use any timed method as a guide. I will usually subtract an hour or so from any timed method because you can always add more time in smaller increments, but you can't take it back if it's already over. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

I'll start with check your thermometer. At 225 the baby backs should have been way overcooked. 3-2 1 is for full spares. If all the rub came off then the bark wasn't "set" before wrapping in foil. That's another thing that leads me to believe your therm is reading wrong.

I think PJ on to it. I did 2 racks of baby backs last night at 250 degrees my timing was 2-1/2 - 1-1/2- 45 minutes and they were fall off the bone done.
Check your thermometer.

Hi Ron!
I've done the 3, 2, 1, method in my MES 30. The only thing that went wrong for me was almost dieing of hungry waiting 6 hours, plus a little.
But boy! Did the dog and I love the results! I was batchin it. I love to play in the kitchen when I'm alone. :heh:
Mine came out fall offa da bone. I love ribs that way!
Unfortunately, I rarely get to cook that way. The rest tell me, "Don't mess with the Rib recipe!" :cry::sad::confused:
My bunch are about as adventuresome as a rock. :doh: And they all have cotton candy mouths about heat. :mad:

Anyway, with an electric smoker, temperature control is easier. I can step a little to get it in the zone. Do you use a leave-in probe type thermometer?
It could probably help you as you learn, monitors the meat, and the oven temp.
When I'm doin my ribs on the grill, I never use one, nor probe. I just roll with 'speriance. But those are chewy ribs, gnaw on bones. They seem to love them. I do half racks, and they stiffen up a bit when done. But I turn every 10 minutes and paint with my concoction.

3,2,1's-
3 hours open with rub, at 225° F. We be slO cookin.
2 hours wrapped in Foil with sauce, at 225° F. Steamin them bones, sippin some beers.
1 hour to finish. Still at 225° F, opened foil, let the heat dry up the outside of them wonderful ribs. If, after that last slO cookin hour they seem too wet, or you'd like them drier, go ahead and let them swelter in your cooker.
If the meat doesn't fall off, they ain't quite done enough.
In my experience, when pork gives up it's bones, that is finger licken good piggy.

One other thing about temperature, when you are doing an oven like cook (like 3,2,1), allow your cooker to go for a while beforehand. Let it stabilize good. Give it an hour to realize the temperature you want. And if/when you do any adjusting, do it in little steps. You don't want it to Pogo, you're looking for a nice steady heat at 225° F.
Don't be opening and lookin neither. It's said, "If you're lookin, you're not cookin." Every time you look, all the heat jumps out and has to re-stabilize.
That's why a leave-in probe thermometer is good. You look at that instead of opening the cooker. If your hands get nervous, hold a beer. :thumb:

I hope you might find some pearls in this. Just keep trying, you'll get it. :wink:

^^^^Yup! Baby backs should have been mush with a 3-2-1.

The digital thermometer with the Lavalock ATC-1 controller registered a bit higher than the bimetal dial on the door of the Bandera. Probably more accurate,
Initial 3 hrs was at 190° then up to 225° for the remaining steps.

The digital controller did a great job of holding a constant temp.
Meat came off the bone quite easily when eating, was not dry nor tough.

Really, not bad for a first attempt.Meat has a god bark layer, about 1/8" thick or so, just that the rub boiled off the ribs in the apple juice while wrapped.

I have seen recipe temps on the www ranging from 180 to 275............

Next time I smoke I'll put my ThermoPro digital unit in as well to compare..

When using the 3-2-1 method, I don't even use a thermometer. I set the MES30 at a temp of 225 and I'm off. I check periodically to see if I need to add wood chips during phase one, but that's it.

When I wrap, I put the ribs on a thin bed of brown sugar with honey drizzled on them. When I unwrap, I apply a coating of sauce. Every time I have done this they come out perfect. The only issue is having to be careful they don't fall apart getting them to the table.

The last time I did 2 1/2 - 1 1/2 - 1 and they were easier to handle. Still fall of the bone tender but they "presented" better on the table.

I recommend 3-1-2, or not wrapping at all. Both are gamechangers!

Don't do 3-2-1 method. Its how to guarantee mushy ruined ribs. Learn to use a toothpick to dial in a perfect tenderness. Like brisket, each rack is different and theres no system to cooking them. 321 is how to perfectly ruin them every time.

Don't do 3-2-1 method. Its how to guarantee mushy ruined ribs. Learn to use a toothpick to dial in a perfect tenderness. Like brisket, each rack is different and theres no system to cooking them. 321 is how to perfectly ruin them every time.

I have overcooked every attempt at 3-2-1 ribs. Other cooks pull them off nicely. The blame is on me.

After much trial and error, I have found my method for ribs on the Assassin - 275 straight up, no wrap, until they get a good bend and probe tender with a toothpick....about 3 hours and change.

However you go, the trick is is pull them when they are done and tender - not falling apart.

In your opinion. Since you aren't the God of Smoking, I think others should prepare their food as they like.

I always use the 3-2-1 method and have never had mushy, overcooked ribs. They always turn out just as the people who are going to be eating them love.

Most of us don't want to wait 6 hours to eat mushy ribs lol. Great results can be had by just tossing the ribs on a 275F-325F cooker and checking them at the 3 hour mark. Whole spares may take up to 4 hours if they are super meaty. One great advantage to doing it like this is no foil expense and it is a lot less labor intensive. The bark is to die for as well.

I'm also a fan of the Pitmaster T method of waiting for the pig honey to curdle to the surface, then shutting down the cooker and letting the ribs rest inside for an hour or so. Some of my best ribs ever have been cooked this way.

My baby backs were not the least bit mushy.
Maybe that is due to smoking 3 racks at the same time.
They did have a nice 1/4" thick color band on all surfaces.
All in all a good first attempt...

In your opinion. Since you aren't the God of Smoking, I think others should prepare their food as they like.

I always use the 3-2-1 method and have never had mushy, overcooked ribs. They always turn out just as the people who are going to be eating them love.

Ribs in foil for 2 hours at 250+ will be pure mush. No my opinion, fact.

I now take 30 min. off each 3-2-1, wrap bone side up after the smoke stage with butter and homemade bbq sauce, then unwrap flip to meat side up add some sauce and let smoke the final 30. I use pecan wood. This works for me and saves 90 minutes.

3-2-1 only works with larger racks at LOW temp. Even then it's not optimal. You'll find it's easier and faster to smoke 200-225 until the bark looks good (2-3 hours) and then raise the temp to 275-300. Wrapping is entirely optional and not necessary at 275 and up because you can outrun the stall. Sugary rubs won't burn at 300 so don't worry about that. Evaporation keeps the surface temp well below the smoke temp.

Mine have never come out mushy.
But then, I can read, and write, and know how to run my equipment. Maybe it makes a difference? :confused:

Back