THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teamfour

is One Chatty Farker
Here are the best six. Only three I consider to be presentable in a comp. Skin was perfectly bite-thru.

Attachments

• IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 287
The 2 in the middle and the 2 on the right look great. The left ones are obviously sized different. It may be tough, but with the size of those thighs I would try and get 9 in a box if you can. The judges really seem to like 9 thighs in there.

Were these the best six or the only six that you cooked. Most competitors cook 20-30 thighs and then pick out the best 9 and box them. Evenly sauce them so that they look like you can't wait to taste them. As a judge that is how I view and then score them on presentation. They have to be calling my name and saying, "You really do want to taste me".

The 2 in the middle and the 2 on the right look great. The left ones are obviously sized different. It may be tough, but with the size of those thighs I would try and get 9 in a box if you can. The judges really seem to like 9 thighs in there.

To get 9 in a box, each thigh has to be pretty damn tiny, do you usually put 9 in?

Were these the best six or the only six that you cooked. Most competitors cook 20-30 thighs and then pick out the best 9 and box them. Evenly sauce them so that they look like you can't wait to taste them. As a judge that is how I view and then score them on presentation. They have to be calling my name and saying, "You really do want to taste me".

I cooked twelve. There were three others that were nicely trimmed - two had tong marks in the sauce, one had a hole in the skin. I think I need to practice my finishing technique.

The more you're able to get in there that look the same the better off you'll be. Many good boxes still do well w/ 6 though if they look to fill the box more than any green you've got in there.

Back