THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pretty sure it didn't stink like you said since it's on the smoker already. It'll be fine. Either it sat too long prior to factory cryo or sat it the fridge too long with the loose cryo pack.

I just didn't have good experience with meat like that like PJ said.

yeah, it's been in fridge since I got it... I HOPE it's fine....
I'll know tmrw. after I rest it all night and slice in the AM.

All gravy bud. Glad someone is doing a cook with pics to document the process.

Trying to... I'll have more pics after midnight (before resting it in cooler) and in the AM after I slice and try it.

I saw all four of the briskets David got over a week ago and they didn't have any oxidation on them then. In other words they didn't come in that way. All of them looked great. I reckon that color formed in his fridge sometime in the last week or two. I've eaten beef with oxidation like that all my life and it was always fine. As a matter of fact I have bought steaks and roasts at the grocery store that were heavily marked down because of the discoloration. The nose knows.

On Swole's other point about the Morgan Wagyu burgers I say OMG! I never had any idea that ground beef texture and taste could be that good. Yeah I be ready fo some mo o dat! :hungry:

Well here it is. Once again I may have given up on it too early I think..Got Really late. This one seemed to come up a lot slower. Or maybe it's over cooked in certain parts, but I'm leaning toward under, due to parts of the flat being "tight" on probe test when it came off. I just had no more time at 0200 hours.

BUT, it tastes Awesome!! Great smoke ring and better smoke flavor than my last (obviously from all wood / offset). Some parts at cooked perfectly and feels great on the bite. I'm Happy!!

I used a combo / mix rub this time (non-Texas style) this time. REALLY Good!
-Some Kosher Salt
-Oakridge "Black Ops"
-Oakridge "Pork & Beef" competition rub
-Oakridge "Habanero Death Dust"

This was just about of the smoker and unwrapped out of the Butcher Paper...There was TONS of liquid in there, so it soften up my bark :(
So I let it rest a few and then Re-wrapped it in fresh Butcher Paper, then in some Foil and into the cooler for about 8 hours. Then stuck it back in the over on 170* for an hour or so before slicing.

Here it is:

7E96982B-E624-4C56-BB04-6CE3012C7792_zps3hahtlpm.jpg

8D87D7B9-857C-450C-BEA3-BF8123A52302_zpsqv6b0xy5.jpg

A286BC5F-560B-43FB-B764-31780BF81CD8_zpsdyt9hod6.jpg

Bottom (Flat) side this morning after being in cooler with fresh butch paper and being re-heated.

EB96D42C-AFB7-49DD-BB85-8EE3CC944136_zps7fx0cf0s.jpg

FED05696-85E8-4AF0-B17D-83026063BCB5_zpsi7v47n4r.jpg

Looked awesome! Maybe a tad under done, but not by much. And for me I don't subscribe to the theory that wagyu cooks faster than normal brisket. They all still cook differently depending on size and thickness and sometimes even those rules go out the window. I had a 20 lb choice finish 90mins ahead of a 16lb wagyu at a competition for reference :-D.

Thanks for all the posts on this.

Looked awesome! Maybe a tad under done, but not by much. And for me I don't subscribe to the theory that wagyu cooks faster than normal brisket. They all still cook differently depending on size and thickness and sometimes even those rules go out the window. I had a 20 lb choice finish 90mins ahead of a 16lb wagyu at a competition for reference :-D.

yeah I just had some and the flat def. still needed a little longer. But the point is Perfect!!! Still taste amazing though.

Like you said, "Not by much".

The first one finished a good bit faster than this one, but it was done on my LSG IVC and this one was on the offset (at hotter temps too, which is why I was surprised it took longer).

yeah I just had some and the flat def. still needed a little longer. But the point is Perfect!!! Still taste amazing though.

Like you said, "Not by much".

The first one finished a good bit faster than this one, but it was done on my LSG IVC and this one was on the offset (at hotter temps too, which is why I was surprised it took longer).

Personally, I go by the point, the hell with flat, I usually give that stuff away

The Wagyus have always cooked faster for me, but I always buy upper end.

Big Swole,

Looking at the pics you posted before you cooked this they look more like what I'm used to seeing with PRIME rather than WAYGU. Overall, do you feel this tasted better / more tender / more juicy than a normal USDA Prime?

AFTER pics look amazing and I agree that maybe it was a tad under-done, but I'm really curious how you feel this brisket compares to a typical prime or choice in your experience. I guess I'm asking do you feel the final product justified the elevate cost for waygu?

Personally, I go by the point, the hell with flat, I usually give that stuff away

I find the flat on the primes i do to be great, figured waygu to be be same or better. The point seems to take longer than the flat. There is alot of fat to render out. It may be sacrilege to say cubing up the point for burnt ends would be a good idea.

Back