THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GEORGIA BULLHAWGS

Knows what a fatty is.
I decided to smoke a brisket this weekend. Went to my local Kroger and picked the best looking and flexible meat out of the 4 they had available. Kinda slim pickens, but it turned out pretty decent.

-Start time was a LOT later than I wanted, 4:30 p.m.
-Injected with a worchestsire base sauce, and black pepper which you can see at the bottom on the results.
-Rubbed with plowboys Bovine Bold, fresh ground peppercorn (liberally)
-Used a log burner home made offset smoker.
wood was Water Oak and White Oak

not a pic from today, but the smoker and my helper.
HELPER.jpg

-Temp was kept between 300 and 350 for the entire cook.
-Placed a Water pan on top of the baffle to create some humidity in the cooking chamber to eliminate the drying effect.
-Filled the pan with Apple Cider and Water to start. At the end of the cook, the juices that had collected made great Ou Jou. I poured up the liquid, and placed bowl in fridge for a couple of hours, then spooned off the grease that had solidified on top. That left pure juice, without the thick grease and grainy taste associated with it.

-After being on the smoker for about 30 mins.
brisket1.jpg

-After approx 3 hours on the smoker
brisket2.jpg

-After approx 7 hours on the smoker.
brisket3.jpg

-After approx 2 hours resting inside of a cooler with 2 thick towels on top to hold the heat on it.
brisket4.jpg

The results

brisket5.jpg

brisket6.jpg

There is nothing left of this brisket. My first brisket turned out great, but i will say I was AMAZED how good this one tasted. I done a few things differently as far as flavors go and how I added them, and I am not scared to say that I will no longer mess with the cooking method for brisket, even after only my 2nd attempt.

Butts on the other hand is another story.. :)

One question for those who compete in brisket. Do you think the black lines in the meat that show when cutting would hurt my scores in a contest? If so I will have to go about another way to get flavors inside of the brisket.

Knowing what you injected with, I'd hit that hard!

As a judge, I'd be put off by the black lines. I actually thought it was some kind of herbed sauce you drizzled over it after cutting. The lines actually look green on my monitor.

Arlin

Yeah, when i cut it, I knew what it was so I wasn't bothered by it, but I thought to myself, "self, if you were judging meat, and this was handed to you, would you be afraid to eat it." and self said, yes I would. Soooo, with that being said, the only experimentation I have to do now, is to figure out how to instill flavor.

Anyone ever brined a brisket?

I would still hit that!! Also I inject with beef broth, finely ground black pepper, salt and onion powder. I haven't seen any stains and it gives it a nice flavor. I really like doing hot and fast now! I have done a brisket and a few butts h-n-f and question if I will go back to slow-n-low.

First off that looks AMAZING! And to think that is only your second one, impressive. I started going hot and fast once I switched to an offset. I find it is easier to maintain a steady high temp (275-325) than it is to maintain a steady 225 type temp. My butts are better than ever hot and fast. Have not done a brisket hot and fast but will soon. Nice post.

Back