THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have this event on my calander and hopefully will be able to go. This will be my first time ever going to a comp. I hope to see a few brethren banners flying high!

Anything I should be aware of or advice? And don't say bring a keg of beer ya farkers! lol

Hope to make it and see some of you peeps competing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a GREAT comp last year (minus the weather). We are returning. App turned in and already paid in full. No PC this year for us because it was a debacle last year and really hurt our KCBS turn-ins (only two of us). It's a conscious choice. The payout is nice and tempting and good luck to those competing. We are not there for the money though. We had electricity last year. We expect it this year as well. We did not have water. (Others had water. That was OK!) I'm completely fine with that. But we need electric.

Think they would let me bring my 10,000 watt generator? :loco: lol. Even if they do, I think you guys might kill me from the noise.

Re People's Choice- We'll give Eze a call re the timing- if he's looking at last year's schedule- the KCBS timing was different (remember turn in's started at 2pm for KCBS) So if that is the time they are doing PC- then it would be after this yr's KCBS. We are doing standard turn in times this yr.
Nancy

No electric? What about water? Is that confirmed?

Where exactly is the competition? I am just looking at a map and only see one parking lot that i think it would be in. Just wondering where this actually takes place.

It's not in the parking lot- sites are set up within the park -along the street and in the grass. Some areas flatter than others.

Hey everyone, I've only been smoking for about 2 years now and am interested in joining the PC competition. Can anyone give me an idea how it worked last year, does it have to be cooked onsite(I live on SI so if I could do it at home that would be great).

Also I know it says you need to cook atleast 20lbs, but what does everyone recommend?

As far as serving, is it just going in a dish or do they want you to put it on a roll?

Thanks - Craig

Last year we did PCs

We cooked ~20 lbs and eventually ran out, and the weather was poor and attendance was supposedly lower than their expectations. So if you have good weather, expect to give out more than 20lbs.

Competition teams handed out samples from their site. So not sure where they set up people who are not doing KCBS competition, but only PC's. If you are in a high traffic area, again that will increase the quantity you will have to hand out.

As far as sample sizes, when the public shows up, they pay for a "tasting kit" which is a fork and cup (forget what size) and basically you fill up their cup with a sample of your pulled pork.

You do not need to cook it onsite. We cooked ours onsite though. The timing was really bad if you were also doing the KCBS contest. We went through 20lbs in no time. The teams with more will do better because they can serve longer. The people have little cups that you can spoon the pork into. You do not need to serve on rolls.

Being right over the Outerbridge, I sent in an application for this comp. Does anyone know when you find out if you made the 25 team list? Eze sent me the application, and I mailed it back the next day, but my check still has not been cashed.

Also, peoples choice I can cook ahead of time, offsite?

Back