THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I picked up this 25.12lb brisket from Restaurant Depot a couple weeks ago along with 7 of its pals for a 4th of July cook I was doing. I'd never seen a brisket this large before....seen some 21 or 22 pounders at Costco or Sam's before but that's about it.

Anyhow, I decided to cook it this weekend before it gets too long in the tooth. I ended up trimming 8.3lbs of unusable fat from it, which is ~66% yield...slightly less than the 70% or so I'll often see out of a 15 or 16lb prime brisket. I also trimmed about 1.75lbs of red meat that I'll grind for burgers. So this monster brisket ended up not being quite as big as originally thought, though 15+ lbs of trimmed brisket is still a decent chunk of meat.

I'd planned to do up to the wrap in my Shirley then finish slow in the oven overnight, but that was when I anticipated the brisket being 18 or 19lbs post trim. Now I'm considering just doing it hot and fast in one run on the Shirley. Gonna chew on that a little bit this morning and decide what I want to do.

I watched a YouTube video of Miron Mixon on how he does brisket and got intrigued by the injection he uses - 3 tablespoons Minor's Au Jus and 3 tablespoons Minor's Beef Base in 32 oz of water. This looks like a really good au jus, I'm definitely going to use this in another recipe soon. It has little particles of tasty beefy goodness all up in it. I like the way the injection tastes compared to some of the powdered mixes I've used lately.

Last edited:
For eating at home, I'd have thrown some dales steak seasoning in the injection.:-o

Looks like the knob creek would have me smoking it all night too.:cool:

Keep us posted on the cook!

You trimmed off about as much as the size brisket i normally cook.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, she was a fatty...there was a good 1" thick soft fat cap covering most of the flat that I had to trim down to a more reasonable level. Quite a bit of hard fat on and between the point too.

All rubbed up and on the smoker. I'm going to let this one ride a little cooler than I normally would, around 240* and see how it goes. I don't need to serve it until lunch tomorrow.

Rubbed liberally with EAT Barbecue Most Powerful Stuff. Cowboy lump from the 40lb Costco bags, cherry chips dispersed through the charcoal, and a couple chunks of hickory since I was out of chips.

Letting technology do things today. Probe 1 is the flat probe 2 is the point. The temp finally settled down after I stopped opening it to put grates and meat in and now we are just cruisin' along at 240* until it's done, whenever that is.

Attachments

Time to get into the bourbon....starting with an old fashioned. I almost always drink whiskey either straight or just a couple cubes of ice so I'm trying to branch out.

Brisket only came up 3* in the flat and 4* in the point over the last hour...I'd say we are entering the stall.

I moved the brisket to the oven around midnight, foil panned it with a little bit of the Minor's au jus mix in the bottom and set the temp to 215*. Woke up around 6am and the meat temp was about 207* and probing like buttah, so I lowered the oven temp to 170* and am going to let it glide down to a 2 PM serve time.

Well the brisket turned out pretty delicious, it was held in the oven at 170* until about 2 hours before I served it, at which time it went into the Cater Gator so I could crank the oven heat up for the beans.

I found a 1.5lb vacuum pack of wagyu cubed point in the deep freeze. I remember cooking this one last year and the point ended up needing more time to render, so it was a perfect candidate for baked beans to release its fatty wagyu goodness into.

The brisket was super moist and tender, I had to slice it pretty thick but it made for great sandwiches and the point was nice and melted into delicousness. Almost no smoke ring to be found, but the flavor was there. May not be the prettiest brisket I've ever cooked but it ate well. The Shirley would've taken it to another level but I was pretty happy with how it turned out given the minimal effort I put into it.

about 23 hours in at this point

Nice bark, super moist and tender

Back