THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
Well I used my new 22.5 WSM the other night for a short cook, and loved the way it cooked, but had trouble keeping my coals in one nice pile. So it got me to thinking, what if I made a smaller fire ring to contain the coals better? I think I can get better fuel utilization on shorter cooks with a more compact coal bed. I figured I’d start with 50% volume and see where that gets me. So I bought some expanded metal and…..

Original 22.5 fire ring volume
V=∏r^2h
V=∏*8.5^2*4.75 = 1078.30in^3

Half V = 539.15in^3

So bla, bla, bla and a bunch of math, I come up with….
V=∏*5.35^2*6 = 539.59in^3 Close enough to half original V.

Since I’m using flat stock expanded metal I need to come up with a circumference that will determine diameter.

C=∏/d
C=∏/10.7 = 33.61in

I took my expanded metal and made cut 6” tall by 33.61” long(or close there to), that when rolled into a circle will give me a 10.7”dia x 6” tall fire ring, that is half the volume of the original 22.5WSM fire ring.
P1000960.jpg

P1000962.jpg

P1000963.jpg

I’m going to give this a try tomorrow on a short cook and see how it works. I don’t have an accurate enough scale, so I guess I will count briquettes to determine how much fuel I used. I would love to hear from any WSM owners, and what you think. Thanks.

Last edited:
All I can say is keep us posted. I've never seen anything like this before- but the more coal the longer the burn- no?

Mike, absolutely the more coal the longer the burn, but the fire ring on 22.5 is so damn big, I think it may be inefficient on shorter cooks. I think with a more compact fire I can achieve the same temps, over a short period of time(like 4-6 hours), with less fuel.

You would be surprised how much difference size makes, with the Cajun Bandit oversized charcoal ring for the big bullet, you can fit a whole 21.6 lb bag of Kingsford, do a Minion burn and rock out all night.

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

But for short cooks on the 22" WSM fuel hog, a small ring is the only way to roll!

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

Good job on the expanded metal basket. I'm not good with my hands or I'd make one like yours. I got 16 hours on my 22" wsm yesterday. That was with temps rocking at 270-295. For shorter cooks I'm definitely going to use my 18" charcoal basket instead.

I only got about 10 hours out of my wsm 22 yesterday, I was using royal oak lump and about 4 hand size chunks of applewood... it seemed a little short for me but I had the sucker wide open and it was around 40 degrees i'm assuming that why I didn't get more out of it. I like the idea of a smaller basket for smaller/shorter cooks.

I only got about 10 hours out of my wsm 22 yesterday, I was using royal oak lump and about 4 hand size chunks of applewood... it seemed a little short for me but I had the sucker wide open and it was around 40 degrees i'm assuming that why I didn't get more out of it. I like the idea of a smaller basket for smaller/shorter cooks.

When you use lump, you need to be careful to pack it into the fire ring carefully. You don't want to leave a lot of space between chunks. If you just pour it in, it won't hold as much, and you'll get a lot shorter burn. I think with more space for air to circulate, that would shorten overall burn time also.

And yes, wind and cold will make it burn through more fuel faster also.

I do like the idea of using a smaller basket for short cooks though:thumb:

Back