THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUBBAGA

is One Chatty Farker
Today is the big day. Many of the best bbq teams in the nation have traveled to beautiful La Quinta, CA to match their skills, and to benefit a few worthy charities.

Good luck to all, but especially the Brethren teams: Little Pig Town, Wine Country "Q", Swamp Boys, Simply Marvelous BBQ, 3 Eyz BBQ, and (2015 KCBS BOD member... we hope :biggrin1:) The American Dream Competition BBQ Team. My apologies if I forgot any one in this list :tsk:

Thank you to Brethren members Snake River Farms for their participation as sponsors.

Thank you to Brethren members K&K McIntosh (Kelly & Kathleen) for being KCBS super-reps.

Thank you to Brethren members behind Operation BBQ Relief for your fantastic organization.

... and lastly THANK YOU to Brethren member Big Poppa himself for being the vision behind this exclusive event, for doing so much for the Casey Lee Ball Foundation for Pediatric Kidney Research, and for being an overall amazing force in the BBQ community :clap:

Last edited:
^^^You gonna make it today? I'm picking up campdude and heading out that way. :hungry:

For those in the area - get out there! This really is an amazing event. I went last year and it blew my mind. There just isn't a collection of food and knowledge like this anywhere else that I'm aware of. There's samples, there's teams giving talks and sharing info, the food being vended is awesome - and the setting is about as beautiful as it can be. Picture a lush desert oasis with Jambos - that's exactly what it is.

On my way now. My third year. Clearly the top event in the country for spectators and a hell of a value. Good luck to all the Brethren teams!

http://www.kcbs.us/event/4858/king-of-the-smoker-competitors-series-judges-are-full

Awesome, the one Brethren team I forgot to include in my initial post were the ones to receive a tie for first overall and awarded RGC... congrats Big T'z Q Cru

What a way to finish up the year for Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ with a GC!!

Excellent performance Steph... taking 4th in Pork and 5th overall

Overall 4 out of 24 teams with 700+... wow :clap2:

Congrats to all who heard their names called in this stellar field

We had a great time. This was my 2nd year going and definitely not my last.

The setting was really nice.

photo-2243.jpg

photo-2062.jpg

OBR representing.

photo-358.jpg

Crazy good ribeye from Swamp Boys.

photo-898.jpg

photo-2275.jpg

This guy looks familiar.

photo-966.jpg

Demos and samples from some of the top teams out there.

Great pork.

photo-2224.jpg

Pulled chicken - so tender and juicy - made from white meat!. :shocked:

photo-2207.jpg

A discussion of differences between IBCA and KCBS.

photo-1808.jpg

The medium sized Old Hickory that was there - there was one bigger and one smaller.

photo-1602.jpg

Quick and easy ribs here - and farking delicious!

photo-2315.jpg

Got some great tips on cooking chix wings, breasts, and pork tenderloins here - and some really good bites as well. :hungry:

photo-1776.jpg

There were other demos - I didn't get pix of all of them. :tsk: But I did get a pic of the feller who makes the rubs a lot of these folks were using - but what I really want is one of those SM shirts!

photo-1139.jpg

The samples were amazing, as was the food vended by OBR. I feel very fortunate to be within a reasonable drive to this event, and IMO anybody who is in the area should check this thing out next year - you're just not going to see this anywhere else, and it's top notch all the way.

Thanks for the pictures GTR. Looks like a great time was had.
24 teams is the perfect number of teams for a KCBS in my opinion. Every judge judges every team.
Congrats to Ronnie Wade. Great representation of Texas and IBCA with 2 first place walks. :thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
The "King"

We went and gtr even has me in one of his photos. Will add a few more and say this is one of those events teams want to be able to say they got to compete at the "King". The King of the Smoker treats the competitors like royalty. Don't believe me ask a team that has been to the King of the Smoker.
the seminars after turn in we always look forward to.

King%20of%20the%20Smoker%203%2012-%2020140011-X3.jpg

La Quinta at Night

King%20of%20the%20Smoker%203%2012-%2020140022-X3.jpg

Steph from Simply Marvelous

King%20of%20the%20Smoker%203%2012-%2020140030-X3.jpg

Operation BBQ Relief was there to serve the crowd. If you have been living in a cave and not heard of OBR.org check out the good they do.

King%20of%20the%20Smoker%203%2012-%2020140033-X3.jpg

King%20of%20the%20Smoker%203%2012-%2020140040-X3.jpg

King%20of%20the%20Smoker%203%2012-%2020140042-X3.jpg

King%20of%20the%20Smoker%203%2012-%2020140072-X3.jpg

Bill Murray hanging with the OBR guys having a cold drink. Bill's is a BBQ guy.

King%20of%20the%20Smoker%203%2012-%2020140075-X3.jpg

some real Custom Drums for Shake N Bake BBQ

King%20of%20the%20Smoker%203%2012-%2020140188-X3.jpg

the two teams that tied for GC at King of the Smokers
Big T'Z Q Cru and Smokey D's BBQ

Adobe Lightroom makes the photos look good!
This has been a great event all three years.
This year the location where the teams where at the La Quinta resort changed and had the teams closer together, which made it great for the fans during the seminars .
I imagine it made trash talking for the teams a lot easier too .
Big Poppa Smokers does a fantastic job with this event.

What an amazing time. Just wanted to also say there were some special rules that made it even more challenging. No electricity allowed other than a light and a thermopen. No probes in meat while you cooked, no electric knives, no Guru's, etc.

Sterling and team took great care of both comp teams and public and it was truly an event to remember. Congrats to everybody that walked and a special welcome to the newest Elite Team, Warren County Pork Choppers!

Now, if you'll excuse me, its back to reality, lol.

I echo what my fellow Brethren and KOS Competitors Rub and Dan said and will add (in my opinion) the King of the Smoker is the "Ultimate" Invitational BBQ Competition. Level playing field...no powered anything...same meats...same set ups...no side walls...(well...we had one between us and Rub to keep the breeze at bay during turn ins...he didn't seem to mind...lol!)...no RV's or trailers...amazing! From day one we didn't have to lift a finger...the BPS "Red Coat Crew" took care of our every need. We were wined, dined, and entertained like royalty! :thumb::thumb:
Hoping like hell to earn our way back next year...:becky:

Back