THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swing Dings Barbeque
1st contest May 2010 Chesapeake Jubilee 5th Brisket
2nd Jul 2010 Que and Cruz 1st Chicken
3rd Sep 2010 Eastern NC Throwdown 7th Chicken, 9th Brisket

My pork is hurting me and I'm working hard on that. Hope to do much better in 2011.

Thin Blue BBQ - Indianapolis, IN

First year Pro's in KCBS events. We competed in a total of 6 contests this year and felt we had a good year. We are looking for new members to join the team to expand things in 2011 if anyone knows anyone looking for a team in the Indy area.

Our top overall finish was 8th out of 28 teams in Nashville, IN

Chicken - 3rd place in Nashville, IN
4th place in Greenfield, IN
12th place in Murphysboro, IL (44 teams)

Ribs - 2nd place in Murphysboro, IL (44 awesome teams. By far our best victory of the season)
2nd place at the College Football Hall of Fame Ribs Only Cookoff

Pork - 6th place in Nashville, IN

Brisket - 9th place in Jasper, IN

Overall we had an awesome time and a successful season. We are doing great with ribs and chicken and our pork is improving, but we are really struggling with the tenderness and flavor profile for the brisket. Any advice is appreciated.

Thunder Road Smokehouse - Rookie Year 2010 - Results

Only 2 comps at the end of the season :evil:

Pig'n in the Grove - KCBS, College Grove Tn. Sept 3-4th (36 teams)
2nd in Chicken
8th in Ribs

Lewisburg Rotary Club BBQ Cook Off - KCBS, Lewisburg, Tn. Oct 8-9th (30 teams)
6th in Pork

Looking forward to next year!

Peppermonkey BBQ

Peppermonkey BBQ - We are a Husband/Wife team out of Shady Side, MD. Did three competitions this year. One in MD and two in PA. First call was during our second competition, 9th place ribs.

Joel M

Thunder Road Smokehouse - Rookie Year 2010 - Results

Only 2 comps at the end of the season :evil:

Pig'n in the Grove - KCBS, College Grove Tn. Sept 3-4th (36 teams)
2nd in Chicken
8th in Ribs

Lewisburg Rotary Club BBQ Cook Off - KCBS, Lewisburg, Tn. Oct 8-9th (30 teams)
6th in Pork

Looking forward to next year!
Welcome. :eusa_clap

How the hell did I miss this thread!

Full Metal BBQ

First walk, Roc City Rib Fest 9th in Ribs

2010 Rookie Season Results... 7 Comps. Walked in 6 out of 7.

ROC City Rib Fest, Rochester NY
Top 10 Ribs (9th)
Auburn Hills, MI
Top 10 Chicken (2nd), Pork (6th) & Brisket (6th)
Riverwalk Brew-B-Q, Lowell MI
Top 5 Ribs (5th)
U.P. Hog Wild, Kingsford MI
Top 10 Chicken (6th) & Pork (9th)
Michigan Int'l Speedway, Brooklyn MI
Top 5 Chicken (5th)
Midwest BBQ Throwdown, Mt. Morris, MI
Top 10 Chicken (4th) & Ribs (10th)

We had a hell of a season and finished California rookie team of the year here is a pic of our hardware
DSC00619.jpg

I remember seeing you guys at Bakersfield, not sure if that was your 1st contest or not, but you all did very well, I think RGC. I remember congratulating a few members of the team and they were walking on air...Always fun to see...Congratulate your teammembers for me!

I remember seeing you guys at Bakersfield, not sure if that was your 1st contest or not, but you all did very well, I think RGC. I remember congratulating a few members of the team and they were walking on air...Always fun to see...Congratulate your teammembers for me!
Thanks Bentley!..yes it was our first comp and yes RGC..and your right we all were walking on air!..the thing that made it even more memorable was that Gene was telling me my ribs were to skinny and the bones are to crooked wich they were by the way so I did my best to straighten them out and cooked them as usual,come award time it gets to the top 5 and i tell my team were done..low and behold 2nd place my jaw was on the floor!.if that was the only call we still would have been really happy but just as I get back to my seat..8th in pork! wow now my blood was really pumping..then brisket I knew it was good but 1st place!!?.. then RGC!..CLOUD NINE!..Ill never forget that one!

The Flamin' "Q" Competition BBQ Team will compete as Dakota BBQ Competition BBQ Team (Dakotabbq) from now on. Home town is now Fort Collins, CO.
Thanks

Wow. Congrats to all those rookies who did so well last year!

Southern Home Boyz didn't quite fare as well.

First comp in April we came in 52 out of 58 teams overall. Nothing above 17th place. Felt pretty discouraged, but bounced back fairly quickly with the help of a lot of support from the Brethren.

Second (and last) comp of the year in Sept. we improved some: 32nd out of 88 teams overall and took a 7th place walk in pork.

Lookin' forward to 2011. Probably won't do more 'n three or four comps this year, but hoping that what I've learned over last year will show in the scores. We'll see. :wink:

I know this is a thread for 2010 teams but we are a first year team in 2011
really looking forward to giving this competition thing a shot. We did one comp. last year and just did pork butt finished 28th out of 120 teams was kinda happy with that for the first time. I am an executive sous chef at a big country club and have been doing cooking comps for a long time just never BBQ comps. I will never look back :). Other food comps are very very very formal checking measurements on the size of lets say a small dice, with a ruler....enough to just piss you off. I cant wait to get on the BBQ circuit and try my luck. I know i have not done BBQ comps before but have a TON of experience in the kitchen world 25+ years in professional kitchens. If there are any questions i can answer about cuts of meat , or any other product just let me know, would love to help. I have already found a few things available to me from my major food service companies that is not generally available to the public. Anyone can get this stuff just got to get in contact with Major food whole seller. The comps are a blast and i had the time of my life the one i did last year. I cant wait to get to know some of you guys and learn from your experiences. I have a TON to learn, but will be a blast doing it. Our team name is Smokin' Hicks BBQ and just got registered with KCBS. See you guys at the comps. Good luck everyone.

Back