1st pastrami cook

Tkruse

Knows what a fatty is.
So I LOVE pastrami and decided to finally give it a shot. Started with 2 roughly 3# pieces of corned beef from Costco. 1 was a flat the other was half flat half point. I rinsed both pieces and put them covered in water and into the fridge Friday night around 9pm. I didn't wake up until 5am Saturday morning so I changed the water then right away and let it sit for another 3 hours. After that I rubbed them down and put into the fridge un-wrapped. The rub I used called for some hole peppercorns, mustard and coriander seeds. It said if using some hole seeds, crack than under a heavy pot... That didn't work so I put them all into my pepper grinder and did a very course grind, pretty much just into halves. Doing so, I think my rub was over powered. Either that, or I just plain used to much rub. I didn't wait the full 2 days before smoking as I wanted to cook them on Sunday. Started the smoker Sunday morning and @9am they went into the wsm running around 250-275°. I wanted to smoke one until 150 or so then wrap in butcher paper to finish some 200ish. The other one I smoked until 150 then took off, let cool, then into the fridge. That one I planned on putting into a steamer to try it that way. After about 2 hrs and 45 minutes both were at 150. Took one off, cooled then fridge wrapped the other one in butcher paper. That's where the cook starting a word twist. It took FOREVER for the one in butcher paper to finish. Not sure if maybe I wrapped it in TOO much paper, if that's a thing, or I was in and out to much. Anyways, I'll provide my temp notes. Any advice, suggestions etc are appreciated. I finally pulled the one in butcher paper at 6:50pm, rested for a half hour then cut. I was starving. Texture was good, just seemed like it to longer than a whole 15lb packer.

Pastrami on at 9am running 250° with cherry
Spayed at 10 and 11 with 4-1 Apple juice-acv
At 11:45 both at 150°

11:45 Wrapped one in butcher paper and back on.
The other I tented in foil to cool down for the fridge.

One in butcher paper-
@1:15 only tempted 155°
@2:15 157°. Raised temp to 275
@3:15 165-169
@4:10 174. Unwrapped and back on @ 275ish
@4:39 down to 167° running 268° upted temp to 280-300
@6:35 198°
@6:50 203°. Probed good
Put in cutting board tented with foil for 30min

Last edited:
That looks great. The fun of BBQ - trying different thing to see which you like better, and you get to eat both! I've never taken it all the way on the grill, but know people who do. Interested to see your thoughts on any differences you find between the two.

That looks pretty good from here. I've never finished one in butcher paper, so no help with that question. In addition to a steam finish, braising or a pressure finish are options.

As far as rubs go pepper, coriander, and garlic usually make an appearance.... just in various ratios. Onion powder, thyme or paprika can be added as well. Sometimes I'll use a layer of garlic pepper and a layer of my pastrami rub.

Looks like it came out OK, did it have a good taste? You said the texture was good, and it looks like pastrami I have done a few of them and they all took a while to get done, but well worth the wait in my opinion. Your sandwich looks fantastic, think I'll do another one this weekend.

That looks pretty good from here. I've never finished one in butcher paper, so no help with that question. In addition to a steam finish, braising or a pressure finish are options.

As far as rubs go pepper, coriander, and garlic usually make an appearance.... just in various ratios. Onion powder, thyme or paprika can be added as well. Sometimes I'll use a layer of garlic pepper and a layer of my pastrami rub.

This is the recipe I used...
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns

2 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper

1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds

1 tablespoon coriander powder

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds

1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

Options. The paprika mostly adds color. If you want to veer from the conventional and amp it up a bit, substitute ancho powder or American chili powder, but be careful, the black pepper and mustard supply an ample kick. You can leave anything out that you want except the black pepper and the coriander.

Method
1) If you wish, you can use only powdered coriander, ground black pepper, and ground mustard, but I like using some whole seeds. If you are using some whole seeds, pour them into a zipper bag and smash them with the bottom of a sauce pan so they are "cracked" but not completely powdered.

2) Blend together all the spices. Rinse the meat, and while it is damp, apply the rub liberally, about 4 tablespoons per square foot of surface, and press it into the surface to help it adhere. If there is a thin part of meat, use less rub.

I liked the flavor, but it was a little strong on the pepper side. Maybe because of the grinding of the whole peppercorns as well because my cast iron wouldn't crack them or i just used to much rub i think? It was also a little on the salty side, but i think that's because i didn't change the water often enough. Thanks for all the comments. I love learning from people on this GREAT site.

I will steam the other one and comment on the difference between the two.

Here is my recipe for pastrami rub:

4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (more if you like it peppery)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Canadian/Montreal Steak seasoning
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 teaspoon paprika
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly

1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika

Got a corned brisket point I plan to throw on the Shirley this weekend, I'll have to give that a shot.

1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika

I'll definitely try it thirdeye. Thanks. How much rub do you use per pound roughly? Thanks in advance

Hey thirdeye, what's the pressure finish option?

Back