THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

21234rick

Full Fledged Farker
Hi all,

This post is about my first go at pork belly Burnt Ends and will also be my "cook thread" for the One Bite throwdown.

I have read about PB burnt ends and decided that Labor day was the day to try them.
I cubed and rubbed a 3lb porkbelly
48668115468_5c7a4551ae_c.jpg

Gave it a few hours of smoke, then put in a sealed pan with brown sugar and butter to tenderize and finally added some BBQ sauce to glaze.
48668595607_5bd65b26d9_c.jpg

These were fantastic! But since this is a one bite competition, I wanted to create an "amuse bouche" type of tasting.:loco: So I broke out my "modernist cuisine" skills and made pineapple juice caviar (basically little spheres of juice), added a slice of hot pepper for spice, and plated on a spoon with a balsamic glaze.
Here is the final product:
48668513416_16e838823d_b.jpg

These things were spicy, fatty, salty, and had bursts of acid. I was very happy with the final product. it was the perfect bite!
Thanks for reading.

THAT is something that I have been wanting to do and now, I am even closer to making it happen sooner rather than later. Very nice cook!

Awesome food and pics. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks pert darned good from here! How do you make the juice spheres? Those look interesting.

I love PBBE, and those look absolutely wonderful. I will take both of those bites and what ever was left over.

Looks pert darned good from here! How do you make the juice spheres? Those look interesting.

The spheres were made by using Basic Spherification (Google it). Basically you take your juice add 1 chemical, then use a syringe or injector to release drops of juice into water (mixed with another powder) and you get balls of juice covered with a film of gel. I got the powders of Amazon for <$15. Saw it on Master Chef and wanted to try.

THAT is something that I have been wanting to do and now, I am even closer to making it happen sooner rather than later. Very nice cook!

I followed the recipe from How to BBQ Right, (Here)
Couldn't have been easier and my family and friends went through 3 lbs in the no time. Should have made twice as much.

Those look really good and I am going to have to try the juice balls.

FYI...I have had a few people (granted, they may be overgrown babies) turn their nose up at the thought of eating pork belly. If you refer to them as bacon burnt ends, you get pass that because...well...who, in their right mind, doesn't like bacon.

Back