THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyle Serlington

Full Fledged Farker
...and i dunno how many racks of ribs i've cooked in the last 5 years, but a good amount!

ribs and chuck (small one, a little less than 2lbs) 5 minutes after being on the WSM
10382634_10152211564106373_6860530496162895862_n.jpg

and about an hour and a half later the chuck got wrapped when it hit 165 and then i threw the moinks on

10580024_10152211564146373_4129900295079839888_n.jpg

ribs resting after being pulled in the low 190's

10547473_10152211564291373_7028777130578427251_n.jpg

chuck after resting for about an hour and a half

1888613_10152211564376373_5876336333114587022_n.jpg

finished moink balls

10603304_10152211564626373_7662210620904766179_n.jpg

and the final plate with chuck, ribs, homemade potato salad, doctored can of pork and beans, and homemade peanut butter pie

10610870_10152211564556373_5635830678946880388_n.jpg

here's my take on everything:

ribs- not my best but not my worst. i mopped them about every half hour or so with a mix of vinegar, water, and a little bit of veggie oil and it didn't really seem to make a difference from my last cook where i didn't mop. they did come out very smoky, maybe almost too much, but i'll have to judge that tomorrow when i eat the leftovers (sometimes being around the smoker all day affects how i taste the food when i eat it)

chuck roast- i did one a couple years ago because i wanted brisket and it was too expensive, so i tried this as an alternative. the first time i did it didn't go so well, it came out dry and i think i threw most of it away. chuck used to be really cheap around here but now this 2lb one i did today was about $10! it was worth it though, i wanted to get it so i could shred it and it had a great flavor, even though it was lacking smoke. you can tell there was some smoke penetration but not much seeing as how i had to wrap it after an hour and a half. i try to avoid wrapping but in this case i felt i had to do it for my end goal

moink balls- well... i don't think i like these. i made the meatballs from scratch, so some people might not consider em true moinks, but i dunno how people do pre-cooked ones anyways because the beef got done way earlier than the bacon did! bacon was still a bit chewy after i pulled em off and the meatballs dried out. i didn't get a sliced pic but there was a little but of a smoke ring on it. i dunno that i'd go through the effort of making these again

additional notes: smoker held pretty good for 4 and a half hours at 250, that seems to be the magic number with my WSM. i used a combo of apple and hickory wood with lump charcoal and i just tried a new rub recipe yesterday that i used for these, it was from Melissa Cookston's book "Smokin in the Boys Room". pretty decent rub, i added a little oregano and chipotle pepper to it though

Great looking cook! Those moinks looked great. Well it all did really. Peanut butter pie had my mouth watering! I just ate a rack of ribs i made today on my kettle. I don't wrap or mop mine. I did glaze them about 45 min before pulling today. Turned out very good.

Which wsm so you have? Looks like the 22.5?

Looks good from here. That peanut butter pie definitely has my attention...should there be leftovers.

What temp did you run at? How many chunks of what type of wood?

yup, 22.5, i like it a lot, i almost never have any issues keeping a steady temp. i was just thinking about this today though, should i even bother foiling the water pan? i use the widest roll i can buy but it doesn't cover the whole pan so i have to use 2 pieces to cover it, and the water gets under it anyways so what's the point?

Looks great to me. I make my own meatballs for MOINKS also. I make them ahead of time and we freeze them and then make MOINKS or put them in our spaghetti. But they are frozen when I start. My bacon gets done fine. Were yours frozen when you started

Looks great to me. I make my own meatballs for MOINKS also. I make them ahead of time and we freeze them and then make MOINKS or put them in our spaghetti. But they are frozen when I start. My bacon gets done fine. Were yours frozen when you started

nah mine were not frozen, i'll have to try that next time. how much time do yours spend on the smoker?

yup, 22.5, i like it a lot, i almost never have any issues keeping a steady temp. i was just thinking about this today though, should i even bother foiling the water pan? i use the widest roll i can buy but it doesn't cover the whole pan so i have to use 2 pieces to cover it, and the water gets under it anyways so what's the point?

Wish I could help, but I don't have a wsm. I'm wanting one but will probably end up with the 18.5 unless I get lucky and find a 22.5 on Craigslist. I may end up building a UDS instead though.
I have read people talking about foiling water pans but I think they only do it if they aren't running water in them. I guess it keeps them cleaner that way? I think if you put water in yours there's no need to foil it. Some people even use sand in theirs I've read.
Anyway, I'm sure someone who has a wsm will pop in and be more help than I was... :mrgreen:

Foiling the pan makes for easier cleanup with or without water...that's the theory, at least. I always foil the pan on my 18.5. If not running with water, then I try to leave an air gap between the foil and pan on top so that the drippings don't burn.

leftovers report: i took half the rack of ribs and a few moinks and put em in a pan in the oven with a little water in it and foil on top. but em in at about 300 degrees for about 40 minutes and the ribs and moinks came out moist. threw the ribs on the grill with some sauce and they were decent, again, not the best i've made, i think i needed a meatier rack, i got the biggest one the store had. as for the leftover chuck roast, i got a frying pan out and started frying some onions and peppers. then i toasted an 8" sub roll and threw thew chuck in the pan. heated up nicely, quick and moist and then i topped it with cheddar to make one of the best cheesesteaks i've ever had! sorry, no pics

I tried to do mine frozen, but the toothpick does not go through. I let them thaw out until I'm able to. Am I missing something?

Looks great, probably wasn't a good idea for me to look at all that food at 11:47am right before lunch.
As far as the moink balls, I buy frozen meatballs and let them thaw a bit then wrap with bacon and use a toothpick, after an hour or so on the UDS I put them on the gasser to crisp up the bacon and then mop them with sweet baby rays raspberry chipotle. Everyone loves them and has never said the meatballs were to dry. Their is never any extra moinks.

Back