THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Igotgas

is one Smokin' Farker
I did my first hot and fast this last weekend. I did 18 pounds uncooked weight in 6 hours not counting cooler time. All in all I like the time frame but I did not like the consistency of the PP. I think that it was a a bit "mushy" compared to my low and slow. Should I have put it back on the smoker after pulling it out of the foil? Would that have "Firmed" the meat up a bit? Here they are at 160*+/-

62d15975.jpg

3fb997de.jpg

Sorry no pics of after.

I'm confused, did you foil during the cook or just for resting?

By mushy, do you mean real tender/soft?
How long did they rest?

To me they seemed like they were soggy like they had been sitting in juices too long. I rested them for about 2 hours while we ate dinner. But before they rested I unfoiled them and drained the juice out of the foil and refoiled and coolered.

That's because you foiled it....I never foil and I always have a great texture, I have tried foil and it tasted felt/looked really greasy and mushy.

That's because you foiled it....I never foil and I always have a great texture, I have tried foil and it tasted felt/looked really greasy and mushy.

I agree, I do not foil when I go low and slow because i have never felt the need, but this was a hot and fast cook. I think if I did not foil it, it would have been hard as a rock on the outside. Do you normally do hot and fast without foil?

Back