14 Mistakes Everyone Makes When Smoking Meat - a guide for beginners

Flippity Flip!

Author and food columnist*J. Kenji López-Alt*reports that flipping steak "every 30 seconds or so" is a far superior technique that results in "a crust that is just as good." Chef Heston Blumenthal agrees with the concept of more frequent flipping as he noted in an interview with PerthNow. "This is the key thing: flip your steak every 10-15 seconds," he said. "Traditionally, you do two minutes on one side, two minutes on the other and you get a nice brown bit of steak [...] But if you like a nice crust on the outside and for it to be pink in the middle, just keep flipping it."

Read More: https://www.thedailymeal.com/1011895/common-myths-about-cooking-steak-you-need-to-know/

My brother recently bought a Pellet pooper. A little Pitmaster. His first smoker of sorts.

I was at his house and he was happily sitting by the smoker with a beer.

Asked him what was on....

He happily said "Eye of Round".

Couldn't hide it... my smile just dropped. Too late to hide he says "What!".

"Ermmmm... well, it might be all right."

I asked him a few questions:

Cooking Temp: 250F
Target IT: 200F.

Already past redemption at 160F.

I'm trying not to cry.

As it happened we got too smashed to care.

Pulled it and let it rest for 2 hours.

Was dry as a Nun's tit. Good smoke flavor though.

He was going to throw it in the bin. I said it would make good dog food, but you could try chilling, slicing extremely thin and then shaving and soaking in gravy.

It was tossed out.

It's easy to look over this list and say "well, everyone knows THAT" - and it's just not true. There's a lot to know and a lot to learn- and it's a great journey.

I think 14 might have been a bit much- 10 is a nicer round number than 14.... 12 is nice too. but I'm not sure which on the list would get the axe.

I want to make an article called "The 17.63 mistakes people make when making a 'mistakes list'." :p

But yeah this article is pretty solid. Could be a lot to take in for a newbie.

My brother recently bought a Pellet pooper. A little Pitmaster. His first smoker of sorts.

I'm trying not to cry.

He was going to throw it in the bin. I said it would make good dog food, but you could try chilling, slicing extremely thin and then shaving and soaking in gravy.

It was tossed out.

Bill, Your salvage solution would have worked for me. Another thing might have tried was would have been to cut the roast across the grain in 3" or (in your case") 7.6 cm segments and then pull the meat from those segments to make pulled beef. Take that pulled meat and put it in a sauce pan with BBQ sauce and reheat.

I am sure your brother learned a lesson about overcooking a lean cut of beef. As the old adage goes, "We learn a lot more from our failures than we do our successes." I can attest to that saying being true as I have proven it to be true on a daily basis. Sometimes I have to prove it to myself twice.................

I'm trying not to cry.

It was tossed out.

I don't see the problem here. Your brother just discovered a new method to make beef jerky/biltong.

I'm not a fan of articles that say "...Mistakes Everyone Makes When...".
or
"What you're doing wrong..."
or
when they use the inclusive "we".

Flippity Flip!

Author and food columnist*J. Kenji López-Alt*reports that flipping steak "every 30 seconds or so" is a far superior technique that results in "a crust that is just as good." Chef Heston Blumenthal agrees with the concept of more frequent flipping as he noted in an interview with PerthNow. "This is the key thing: flip your steak every 10-15 seconds," he said. "Traditionally, you do two minutes on one side, two minutes on the other and you get a nice brown bit of steak [...] But if you like a nice crust on the outside and for it to be pink in the middle, just keep flipping it."

Read More: https://www.thedailymeal.com/1011895/common-myths-about-cooking-steak-you-need-to-know/

flippity flip...may as well rotisserie your steak

Back