THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
This week I cooked a ton of ribs for my kid's teachers and the secretary who is leaving us. I thought it would be a great excuse to do a video if I could get them all in one grill. Turns out all 12 fit fine!*

I was actually surprised how well this worked. The ribs came out great. I had a little hot spot at first because I was filming and the fire got too hot because I had the lid open but other than that, everything went great. I don't particularly like using rib racks but they work in a pinch. If I had to do this again, the only thing I think I'd do different is plan on it taking about 2 hours longer than normal if for no other reason than because rotating the ribs around takes time away from the cooking.*

Here's a shot about 3 hours in:

I used Setzler's pork rub. Here is the rub recipe:

Man Cave Pork Rub:
1 cup salt
1/2 cup turbinado or table sugar
1/2 cup black pepper
1/2 cup Tang instant breakfast drink mix
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground clove

Put it all in a food processor and pulse 4 or 5 times for 4-5 seconds each time to create a uniform powder. Store it in an air tight jar away from the light for up to six months. (It won't last that long!)

I've never made it before and I admit when I first smelled it, all I could smell was the clove and that made me nervous they were going to turn out tasting like potpourri or something but they*didn't at all. They were*great. Even my wife commented on it and that's rare simply because we've tried so many rubs in the past.

Here is a link to the video if you guys are interested. (It's funny.)
[ame]https://youtu.be/Z7pyxvnluoA[/ame]

That's a ridiculous amount of ribs on there at once! (Sure looks impressive)

They look delicious.

May need to give that rub a try. The Tang part is throwing me off a bit... does it not turn out tasting a bit like "Russian Tea" (that we tend to drink when we're feeling poorly)?

Another informative, entertaining and funny video!

I do want to let you know that I just cancelled my subscription to your YouTube channel as I have a serious case of Bieber fever!

Attachments

• justin-bieber-bieber-fever-baybee-3-justin-bieber-12747795-266-343.jpg
    justin-bieber-bieber-fever-baybee-3-justin-bieber-12747795-266-343.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 613
That's a ridiculous amount of ribs on there at once! (Sure looks impressive)

They look delicious.

May need to give that rub a try. The Tang part is throwing me off a bit... does it not turn out tasting a bit like "Russian Tea" (that we tend to drink when we're feeling poorly)?

I know exactly what you are talking about. The rub smells a LOT like the Russian tea (except with pepper) and I had the same concern. It doesn't smell or taste like it at all when it's cooked though.

Like Shadow said, the tang has me a little iffy about it... may give it a shot, worst case my kiddos drink the rest of the tang mix!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Read my response to Shadow about the Russian tea. Totally with you on the kids. In fact, I've been drinking it. My wife asked me this morning about it and I told her it just reminded me of when I was a kid.

Justin

So, I am hoping this was just a test run for the 4th of July "How many racks of ribs will fit on all my cookers?" video. Weber, Big Joe, Costco stick burner, egg and????? I am guessing it will be a substantial number of ribs! :p

I've never tried that method for starting the charcoal in the Weber Summit like that. How long do you think that could go? Any reason you use briquettes instead of lump? What kind do you use? SO many questions!

Back