THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mowin

Full Fledged Farker
I've done many 60-80 lb whole hogs. This one is 110lb butterflied. Eating around 4pm ish on Saturday. Starting the pit at 2am and it takes about a HR to get it to heated up and a steady 225-250°. Oinker going on around 3am. Gives me a 2-3 hr window. I can lower pit to 150° to hold it till serving time, or bump the temps up to 300° and tent to get it finished. I cook skin up for a few hrs until I get the color I like, then flip and mop ever hr or so. Cooking on a 250 gal reverse flow.

I think you posted that in the recent past. Great idea.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Please do this as a live cook! I really want to get into whole hog cooking but I’m nervous to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do this as a live cook! I really want to get into whole hog cooking but I’m nervous to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take pictures as I go along.
Whole hog is really fairly easy. They can be intimidating, but after you do your first one, you'll be surprised at how easy they are.

Got it done with a hr to spare. Hit the stall with 6 hrs to go with a IT of low 150's . With 3 hrs to go it only jumped 3°. Tented and bumped pit to 275-300° and had a IT of 175° in both ends. Pulled it around 3pm and let it rest for a hr. Took about 30 min for the guests to rid the thing of anything edible.
Client was extremely happy. All his guess said they never tasted something that good. What a fantastic day.

Attachments

• 43643.jpg
    43643.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 213
Back