THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RaddisonA

I got the bug and started building my new smoker. It is a recycled 100 gallon propylene tank. Here's a few pictures of what I have accomplished so far... it is all 1/4" with a 1/8" internal flanges my only question is should I put it on a trailer or not?

Attachments

Welcome to the BBQ Brethren! Looks like you're off to a good start. Only you can answer the trailer or not question. Think about how you will want to use it. It looks like it's a good size for a patio or trailer pit. Keep us posted on your progress!

With a smoker that big, you may find that friends want you to bring it.. Or they may even want to hire you for events? You may find you want to compete?

If that's something you're interested in doing, I'd certainly consider a trailer.

added the chimney

It is 1/4"thick 6"ID pipe 24" long the pit calculator told me to make it 14" but I hear on a reverse flow a little bit longer chimney helps... can always trim it down to fine tune it later...

Attachments

If you choose trailer, check Craigslist for a used boat trailer. You can pick them up for $200 - $400. Already licensed and ready for mounting. Another option would be to build it on large wheels/tires like the Yoder 1500. If you ever had the need to take it with, load it on a trailer and go.

Nice looking so far. What are you planning on using for the smoke box? Are you making it from scratch or do you already have something you can adapt?

I have some casters like the yoder 1500 but with them the smoker would be a little top heavy...since my fire box hangs so low I am worried about heat and the pneumatic tires I would need to widen my frame so it doesn't tip over or melt a tire... at that point it would be as wide as a trailer so....

RaddisonA,
Here are some pictures of my two smokers. I could not figure out how to attach them in a reply to your private message.
I have been thinking about doing a thread with photos throughout the build. Perhaps I will do it when I have a bit more time. Like I said, they are both very different than what you have started, but I hope the pics help.

Attachments

Back