THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

buckdown bbq

So considering that I have never done one I picked up a 10 lb leg of lamb on a whim yesterday. Now I'm looking for suggestions/recipes on how I should go about cooking this thing. I'm sure some you must have done one of these in the past so anyone got any tidbits of info they could share? I would greatly appreciate it!

TIA!

Just cooked a whole lamb a couple weekends ago, because I was the only one who knew well enough how to cook meat, so by default....

I coated it with olive oil, used salt, garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, some sage as well. Was told it came out nicely by lots of lamb fans. I had one bite and it was a good taste, but I'm not a huge lamb fan.

I don't know how to post pictures, or I would.

Cooked on a spit table, with offset heat. The whole thing took about 3 hours to roast.

Would have used the same herbs with some black pepper as well (couldn't get my hands on any), if I were to have smoked it, then some oak and misquite had I been home near a smoker.

A leg of lamb doesn't have much fat so it doesn't pull like a pork shoulder so your best bet is to cook it to your favourite internal temp then slice.

Here's a guide to cooking temperature;

Rare: 120-130 °ƒ
Medium-rare: 130-140 °ƒ
Medium: 140-150 °ƒ
Well-done: 150-165 °ƒ

When I cook lamb I usually use a rub comprised of;

Salt, 1 tablespoon
Pepper, 1 tablespoon
Garlic, 1 teaspoon
Onion, 1 teaspoon
Rosemary, 1 teaspoon
Oregano, 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon zest, 1 tablespoon

Adjust the amounts for your preference.

If you zest a lemon the day before you cook and store it out in the open in your kitchen it will dry out overnight.

16202507294_c0ee8326ae_z.jpg

You could also add the dry ingredients to a quarter cup of lemon juice and apply it wet. Spritz hourly with lemon juice and water to keep it moist.

Lamb doesn't take smoke as well as beef so I don't give it too much smoke during the cook.

Here's a couple of pics of a lamb shoulder I cooked;

16638761179_a44bfb290b_z.jpg

16639055239_f4e023536d_z.jpg

16202530434_06c071fb44_z.jpg

If you want pulled or shredded lamb, like pulled pork, the best cut to use is the lamb shoulder, cook it to the same temp as pork.

I've got to be with you though Backdown BBQ, the best lamb i ever had was roasted in my mother's kitchen oven :icon_smile_tongue:

I usually bone the leg out (check youtube, it's easy), be sure to cut out the triangular piece of fat once you bone it out and the cartilage. You then separate the bulbous roast (what was around the hip end) for another roast. Butterfly the big part, hip to knee, rub with oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, on both sides then roll back up and tie (like a jelly roll). Smoke to 125 internal, rest for at least 20 mins. 10lbs is a big bastard. You can use the bone for making some nice gravy.

If you got the equipment, try spinning it. You get a good mix of med and rare.
Cant go wrong with garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper.
Legs are hard to get to pull tho Ive done it bone-out with moisture,
That's a big leg for the lamb I get, Bone-in Oregon lamb run about 4-5 lbs

I have yet to find any wood that really seems compliment lamb. I've done them in the smoker using charcoal... the residual smoke season in your smoker should be more than enough. It just seems anything more than hint of smoke comes across as some sort of weird add-on to the lambs natural flavor.

I've just become a reverse sear diehard over the past few years and I find that a big leg of lamb benefits just like a prime rib (see the results of this past weekends cook where I even had a small disaster: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228326 )

Being from Tarpon Springs, FL, a historical Greek community, I love sampling my neighbor's traditional lemon garlic lamb. it's fantastic. I can't seem to duplicate myself, however.

One thing I have done is used a Kona Coffee rub. I actually did it by mistake. I was in a hurry, pulled the wrong container and didn't even pay attention. I put that one on the rotis I believe and was surprised out the coffee flavor balanced with the intensity of the lamb. It was different... but very good. Cook indirect on Kettle, spin it on a rotis, or toss it in your smoker. It won't matter. Just char it up nice on the outside and don't worry too much about smoke and you should be just fine.

I prefer grilled to smoked for leg, but smoked to grilled for shoulder. All of it is good however.

For a leg that big, I'd de-bone and butterfly to try to get thickness as even as you can (no sweat--some will like more medium and some will like rare). This is what we normally serve for Easter (although I've had to do 2-3 legs and some chicken if 30-40 people were coming):

The night before marinade in:
6-8 big lemons worth of juice. 1/2 of them zested
6-10 tsp of kosher salt
about 1/2 as much coarse pepper as salt to as much pepper as salt
red pepper flakes to taste
1-2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon
small bit of nutmeg
enough olive oil to almost submerge meat (this will seem like way too much but the over-abundance of oil and the lemon zest are the 2 most important parts)
After all of this is on the leg, put enough Italian seasoning or Greek herb seasoning to cover the surface entirely (this is the third most important point)
Add 1-1.5 large head of crushed garlic.

Again--this will seem like way too much oil and herbs, but Greek friends assure me this is correct

The morning of, get the lamb out of the marinade, put it up on a rack to dry in your refrigerator. Either strain out herbs, garlic, etc from the marinade or just use your hands. Rub solids on the meat and let dry in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (like while you go to church with the family) Save the oil.

After church we would light a medium grill (I like about 1/2 to 3/4 chimney of lump). While the lump is still hot, give each side a couple of minutes to get some color.

After that, cook covered. If you saved the oils, heat 1/2 of it up to make it safe to use as a baste.

After 15 minutes, baste with oil and turn the meat. Do this each 15 minutes and once as it comes off.

This has taken anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour of cooking depending on heat of grill, thickness of meat, and whether your family eats bloody or done lamb (I normally have to make one of each)

Be sure to tent and let it rest 20 minutes before serving

I usually cook to 120 internal which leaves some med rare and some medium bits of the lamb. 115 seems to have a lot more rareish parts but the edges will still be medium. 130 will be mostly medium with a decent bit of more well done parts.

Note--even though the meat is thick this should be done as written first. Given the flavor profile it is actually desirable to have some charred bits, some really rare bits and some medium to well bits. I tried a reverse sear once--while it was technically a better cooked piece of meat it really lost some of the atmosphere of the original

Also, when in doubt about any lamb ask one of the Aussies on this forum. They know their chit about lamb (and unfortunately Vegemite...seriously...how do you guys stomach that stuff?).

I have always roasted large pieces of lamb and grilled small pieces such as chops and shoulder steaks. I like to debone and butterfly the leg to get an even thickness. I keep my herbs simple, salt pepper, FRESH minced garlic, mint and rosemary and ample EVOO. make a rub with the EVOO , SP and herbs and coat heavily, roll the leg up and tie to make as even a roast as possible. Apply rub to outside wrap in plastic and let sit in fridge overnight. I shoot for an internal temp around 125 and the carryover will take it to 130. Let rest at least 1/2 hour. No experience her smoking lamb but common sense tells me a hot fire, neutral wood with clean smoke would be the way to go.

Also consider did you get an American Lamb vs a New Zealand lamb. American will be more forgiving as it had time in the feedlot and will have more fat. Good luck and enjoy, better to error on the rare side, just my opinion.

just spit roasted, spiked with garlic cloves, rubbed with Rosemary , salt and pepper and some olive oil -
and splashed with white wine every once in a while while I took a sip also.. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
and there's a little bin of applewood dust over the direct heat to give a hint of smokey taste too..

HPIM5664r.JPG

Also, when in doubt about any lamb ask one of the Aussies on this forum. They know their chit about lamb (and unfortunately Vegemite...seriously...how do you guys stomach that stuff?).

I'm an Aussie, I put my thoughts about this question here; http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3523809&postcount=3

I like Vegemite on toasted white bread, though it's good untoasted too! You've just got to know to use a little, rather than a lottle! Seriously, on a regular sized piece of toast you only need half a teaspoon, just scrape it over the whole piece of bread very thinly ... this is a good example of how to do it;

4609280-3x2-940x627.jpg

If you put on much more than that it's inedible.

Back