1/4 beef fail? What do I tell my farmer neighbor?

If your neighbor is taking the beef to a processor, then this might be easily solved without much hurt feelings. When/if he asks about your satisfaction, plainly tell him that you are big hamburger fan and other than the filet, not so much a fan of other steaks. But really emphasize how much you love the hamburger. Then end with a question of “ do you think it would be possible to have your quarter made into all hamburger?” If he doesn’t ask, just make that request with that statement the next time you order a quarter.

If your neighbor is taking the beef to a processor, then this might be easily solved without much hurt feelings. When/if he asks about your satisfaction, plainly tell him that you are big hamburger fan and other than the filet, not so much a fan of other steaks. But really emphasize how much you love the hamburger. Then end with a question of “ do you think it would be possible to have your quarter made into all hamburger?” If he doesn’t ask, just make that request with that statement the next time you order a quarter.

I wanted to make a custom 1/4 order, it he said he could only custom cut a half. Basically he split his half with me.

If you can get just the front quarter, have the whole thing ground into burger.

Just say, "It was good, but we're not really steak people. The burgers were great. Can we get all ground beef next time?"

Personally I would be honest upfront
He can't fix a secret

There's nothing to fix though. If you want a well-marbled steak you go walk into Publix and pick one out. You don't order a 1/2 side beef sight-unseen. This is like vacationing in India then complaining about the heat. Have some sense.

Lots of factors contribute to marbling scores. I’d ask him about his practices: breed of cattle, finishing techniques, how he manages genetics, does he butcher calves or yearlings, does he creep feed, etc. This will (or should) clue him into the fact that your quality focused. His operation may not be suited to you. If so, he’ll probably just tell you that. He might modify things for a little more $ for a friend...

Maybe buy a calf and finish yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back