Your "Go To" cookbook, what is it?

Groundhog66

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Tim
I need to download some great cookbooks, what is your absolute favorite? I think the perfect book would have many classic recipes, as well as cutting edge original stuff.

James Beards American Cookery and two editions of The Joy of Cooking, the original and the 2000 updated edition are the three general cookbooks that get the most use for classic American dishes. That being said we have over 150 cookbooks in our collection as well as a complete and growing set of Fine Cooking magazines. Our recipe resources cover most of our needs though occasionally I will look up a recipe on the Internet. If I could only have one cook book it would be the James Beard book, I absolutely love it!

They all seem to have their own angle but I find myself reaching for the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for basics on measurements, cooktimes for random things and general knowledge. For BBQ specifics I often go for Steven Raichlen's BBQ Bible.

Joy of Cooking, I only have the updated version, my sister got my mom's old copy. I own a load of other ones, but, almost never look to them except for the occasional inspiration.

If you're going to have one cookbook, it should be "Joy of Cooking". For bbq I like "Smoke & Spice". Cook's Illustrated makes a lot of really good cookbooks & you can check them out & see which one's best for you.

Yes, internet. I use foodnetwork.com mostly. They have multiple recipes for each dish ranging from easy to hard with plenty of reviews and ratings for each. I read through all the reviews before I decide which recipe to use.

For BBQ my go to is the BBQ Bible or this site.

I use cookbooks in an unusual way. I look through them for inspiration, but seldom cook the actual recipes.

Smoke and Spice is pretty good. I'm a Mario Batali fan, and get good inspiration from his cookbooks. Anything from Julia Child is going to have good, classic recipes.

I like church cookbooks. Lot's of churches sell them for fundraisers, and there is some good home-cooking recipes in them gathered from members. You can sometimes find them at garage sales for dirt cheap.

CD

Smoke and Spice, Big Bob Gibson, Steve Rachlin (when I'm sober). Otherwise I will usually find something I scratched out on paper the next morning.

I use cookbooks in an unusual way. I look through them for inspiration, but seldom cook the actual recipes.
CD

That's what I do too. Guerry and I started a neat thing when we first got married and we still refer to it often. We would look up recipes on the internet, print them and put them in a binder. When we did the cooks we would write down any modifications we did to the recipe for future reference. We also cut out recipes from magazines and put them in the pockets of the binder. It comes in so handy!

Over the years, I have always taken notes on all my smokes, BBQ, etc., so I save all of them on the computer.

I get a lot of great stuff from forums as well. Lots of smart folks out there with great ideas. Plus, I'll track down different stuff like Alton Brown recipes, Bobby Flay, etc that I see on the Food Channel. Their website has a ton of recipes with feedback as well which I find helpful at times.

So, I save all the good stuff and store everything in files according to type of meat, misc., sides, appetizers, etc.

To take it one step further, we have a red 3 ring binder that is the house cook book. We store all the family favorites in it with any notes on how we may have tweaked the recipe.

I sooooo want that book.

BTW, Steve Rachlin is WAY too anal-retentive for me. I'd have to be drunk to cook with him, or I'd lose my patience and end up in jail.

CD

Keep it hot, Keep it clean, Keep it lubricated :becky:

Although the last episode of Primal Grill I saw he did some ribs with some chocolate chipotle junk on them. I'd like to try that. Oh and he did say a pretty good quote, something to the effect of "With ribs, the meat shouldnt fall off the bone. They should have a little bite, thats why god gave you teeth"

I sooooo want that book.

BTW, Steve Rachlin is WAY too anal-retentive for me. I'd have to be drunk to cook with him, or I'd lose my patience and end up in jail.

CD

I agree but did you see his collection of pits. That guy is raking it in with all of his barbaqanalia

Back