First time smoking country ribs

shdybrady

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I picked up some country ribs and want to give them a shot on the smoker. I have made ribs before but these are individually cut. I cant use my probe to check temp and I cant do the bend test, so how do I check for done ness? Toothpick test? Also any idea how long they might take to cook? I was thinking maybe alittle over an hour. Anybody ever cook these before?

Last edited:
Yep, both in the smoker and the oven..

Country style 'ribs' are from the part of the hog just above where the whole
shoulder was taken off, hence the kinda funky cut. They're usually pretty thick and meaty, so I don't know why you couldn't use a them probe. If you cook at 250 deg.
they will take longer than an hour. More like 3-4 or more, depending on how many you are cooking. Not a lot of flavor in these (same as a butt), so use a good rub, etc.

I like grilling these instead of smoking. It seems they can sometimes dry out. The grilling adds flavor, treat them like pork steak or chops.

I like to smoke for about an hour and then grill to finish. Use a flavorful rub and don't let them dry out. sauce if you like.

I like grilling these instead of smoking. It seems they can sometimes dry out. The grilling adds flavor, treat them like pork steak or chops.

I like to smoke for about an hour and then grill to finish. Use a flavorful rub and don't let them dry out. sauce if you like.

I use both of these techniques on country style ribs. They have a nice flavor but if you over cook them they will be like leather.

I sure am fond of tring them on the smoker. Ill give them a shot on the smoker. Im going soak them in some sauce before hand and maybe that will add some flavor and keep them moist. Ill try to do the probe. Ill post pics later

I just checked my smoking log. The last time I smoked CSR's I slathered them in horseradish mustard & rub then smoked @250* for 1 hour 45 min until internal temp of 165*The last half hour they were brushed with BBQ sauce.
Good Luck!

I have smoked em before but prefer to grill em.

I usually put a rub on them about an hour before smokin them. I smoke them at 220-230 degrees to around 170F internal tmperature. If you don't keep a water pan in your smoker you may want to mop them with some apple juice every half hr or so after the first two hours. It's really pretty hard to mess up country style ribs. j
Just don't rush them.

Well I think they might be my first smoke on my newly built uds. What if I foil them for hour and a half And maybe an hour unfoiled to get a park on them. I figured that would ensure they dont try out too much. What do ya'll think about that

You really ought to smoke them for at least the first hour to hour and a half, to get the smoke flavor. I've never had to foil country style ribs, but if you're leary of them drying out, foil them for the next hour and then finish them for how ever long it takes to get them up to temp(165-170°). Use a mop or BBQ sauce after unfoiling them if that's the way you're going to go. If I thought I needed to foil them to prevent drying out, that's how I'd do it. If you find that temps aren't within 225-250° the times could be different. Maybe someone who uses foil for country ribs can give you better time frames.

I brine and smoke them, works great. Or I put a heavy coat of dry rub on them, wrap in plastic wrap for several hours and smoke then grill them. I also grill them, with a dip into a marinade from time to time, this works great too.

I like cooking them indirect but not as slow as real ribs or pork butts, then covering them with a fruity sauce of some sort (either as they hit the table or layer it on the last 20-30 minutes of the cook). I did some last week that turned out pretty good.

On Bubba Ho-Keg:

IMG_2489.jpg

Served up with some fresh cherry chutney:

IMG_2491.jpg

As others have said, these cook faster than "normal" ribs and you don't want to overcook them. If I recall I did the last batch at about 250-275 and they were done in less than two hours.

Back