Closed top drums for UDS??

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
What does everyone think of using a closed top drum for making a UDS? Is it worth the trouble of cutting the top off and tryng to fabricate a lid? I'm having trouble finding an open top drum for my UDS. I can get closed top drums for free from my friend who owns a mechanics shop. I think they contain motor oil....should I avoid them? I wish I had a good source for open top drums. Makes life much easier. Does anyone have some pictures of their build process using a closed top drum??

Thanks,
Patrick

No problems Pat. Lots of us used closed head drums so go for it but you need to find an old Weber kettle lid or a clone thereof. Lots of options for cutting open the lid too. Read a while.

I used a metal-cutting blade on my circular saw to chop the top, makes a nice clean cut. The Weber kettle lid fits right on it too. Oil drums are easier to use than others because of the lack of a liner, and the oil residue will burn out easily.

Thanks everyone...I think I will give it a shot. I already have a 22.5 weber kettle so I can use the lid from that. I just won't be able to use both at the same time.

Norco you used closed top drums now? Any particular reason why? Have any pics of your builds?

What does everyone think of using a closed top drum for making a UDS? Is it worth the trouble of cutting the top off and tryng to fabricate a lid? I'm having trouble finding an open top drum for my UDS. I can get closed top drums for free from my friend who owns a mechanics shop. I think they contain motor oil....should I avoid them? I wish I had a good source for open top drums. Makes life much easier. Does anyone have some pictures of their build process using a closed top drum??

Thanks,
Patrick

get as many as you can cause i still cant get any!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I can get as many as I want since my friends owns the mechanic shop. I'm also trying to get some from my brother-in-law who works for a company that uses them to dispose of saw dust.

Pat

What is better to cook with if you had a choice a weber lid or the drum lid with the 12 holes?

Back